Hello from the Texas Mexico border.

chispa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I live in Hudspeth County, Texas and I am a newbie to digital photography, other than about one year with a Canon S95. I am trading that in for a Ricoh GRD 4.
My previous photo background started with an Argus C3 (1959), followed by Yashica GSN, Nikon 6006 and finally the Canon S95.

I like urban photography and photo journalistic stories. My favorite is probably, W Eugene Smith and his quote, "I didn't write the rules - why should I follow them?"

I am 75 and retired with a social anthropology an psychology work history. I was also a longshoreman at one time and I like living on the other side of the tracks.

I come from a film background and know very little about digital and/or using software to manipulate pictures. With film, what you take is what you get. I like that.

Chispa is Spanish for spark, like my real name. I am setting up a website, not quite ready for primetime yet, but soon: fotochispas.com

Thank you, Jim

Hola Jim,

I was born in El Paso, and grew up in Pecos! So I know that area fairly well... used to love going over the bridge to Juarez when I was a kid (still love pan dulce). You have about 20 years on me.. but sounds like fairly similar backgrounds. Welcome!

With Digital, you also get what you take... unless you decide to go nuts in Photoshop! I shot a lot of film, and spent a lot of time in the darkroom... doing the same changes in the dark, that we do today with software. (I have to admit to seriously disliking some of the trendy fads today... like the fake vintage yellow instagram crap that is so popular... but most instagrammers wouldn't know a good photo if it bit them on the rear!! lol!)

I haven't been to Juarez since the 60s. I use to go there when I was a kid (1950s) to visit the brothels and the nightclubs. Not a very safe place today.
I have a Corel Photoshop, V 4, I bought two years ago but haven't opened the box yet. Not sure about all the fixing with software so I'm unsure how to even begin. Maybe I'll take a photo class at the Jr. college to learn about the new fangled photography. Use to be f stops, speed and ASA was all you needed to know with a film camera.
Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to the site.

I haven't been to Juarez since the 60s. I use to go there when I was a kid (1950s) to visit the brothels and the nightclubs. Not a very safe place today.
I have a Corel Photoshop, V 4, I bought two years ago but haven't opened the box yet. Not sure about all the fixing with software so I'm unsure how to even begin. Maybe I'll take a photo class at the Jr. college to learn about the new fangled photography. Use to be f stops, speed and ASA was all you needed to know with a film camera.
Thanks for the welcome.

Yea.. last time I was there was the early 70's... definitely wouldn't go now! Still need to know the F-Stops, Shutter Speed and ASA/ISO... but there are all kinds of cool features now that really let you get creative (but you don't have to use them either! lol!)

Welcome aboard.

Most reactions

Back