Hello from the True Mitten State in the USA!

Strider64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A little about myself ->
I was born in Detroit, Michigan, but grew up in Livonia, Michigan on August 28, 1964. I have been developing and designing websites for the last 10 years. My interest in computers goes all the way back to 1980 and my very first computer was the Commodore 64. From there I graduated to the PC starting of using Dos 3.1 Operating System. I was a Windows user all the way up to 2014 when I switched over the Apple 27" iMac with 5K Display. I used to run a Bulletin Board System (BBS) in the early 1980s and most of the 1990s. This was before the internet became popular by the public. I mostly ran Wildcat! for my BBS, but I had used other bbses such as PCBoard BBS, Renegade, Synchronet and a few others that I can't remember. I have even developed a phone callback verifier and a few other applications for my bbses
I got into digital photography when I bought a Nikon D80 in 2006 that I used up until a couple of months ago and it still works. I decided to upgrade my Nikon body in order to still use some of the lens that I have bought over the years, especially my 300mm VR lens. I decide to go mirrorless for I will be using it when I go on walks and I don't feel like lugging around heavy camera gear. I want to be able to use my old Nikon lens when I want to and the Nikon 1 J5 camera fits my criteria. I can walk around with the 10-30 mm and 30-110 Nikon 1 lens, then when I want to use my good old Nikon lens using a FT-1 Adapter. Yes I realize that the Nikon 1 camera system is obsolete or will be obsolete shortly. but I consider my an amatuer photographer. If I were a professional photographer I would had purchase a high end DSLR camera body.
I like taking pictures of wildlife especially raptures (Eagles, Hawks, Falcons and Owls) and hummingbirds. I also like taking pictures of vintage WW2 airplanes and enjoy going to the Airshow they have at Willow Run Airport (Thunder over Michigan). Here's just one picture from my Nikon 1 camera ->
img-lego-minifigures-03 by John Pepp, on Flickr

I can't wait until Spring/Summer/Fall so I can get back into wildlife photography.

Welcome to TPF! I have family in Michigan and love it there. I hope you check out our Galleries section and post some of your work.

Have fun, and enjoy the forum!

welcome to the photo forum. winter and snow are great for "black and whites". vin

Welcome! I’ve owned 3 different D80 bodies over the years and loved them. Great camera body in its day, and even now they still make great images.

Welcome. Grew up in Detroit, east side. Same age. There are a few of us on here. I moved out to the country 6 years ago, haven't woke up to my vehicle on bricks in a long time. Livonia ain't much better these days. I heard they use tree wood out there.:bouncingsmileys:

Welcome aboard. My lovely wife (MLW) is from Monroe.

Welcome from the downriver area of the mitt.

I grew up in north Dearborn Hgts in the 60's.

Welcome.
I grew up, and still live, in the Troy area.

If you get around to Willow Run in the winter, there is usually a Snowy Owl in the southeast part.

The first computer I extensively used was a Commodore PET. I owned a Apple //e with CPM for VisiCalc and WordStar, started on DOS 1 something I think, and started using Windows with v2.1 on a NEC V20 processor computer; extensively used and supported the original MacIntosh, SuperMac and later derivatives, and owned MacOS from 2008.

And my first Nikon digital was a D70. Long gone though, currently on a D750.

Welcome to the forum. Not to be left out, I've never been to detroit, but I'm sure part of my truck has.

Welcome, from a fellow S.E. Michiganian!

Just getting into photography, myself, and enjoying the heck out of it :). I, too, like taking wildlife photos. Those and macros (of anything) are my two favourites.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back