Hello & I'm looking for an Online School!

jessography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All!

I want to be a CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL and have been looking around for an Online LEGIT photography school. I found a few, but wouldn't mind being referred to one.

Also, I live in the Bay Area and is looking for fun and beneficial Workshops.

Thanks in advance!

Jess

Why do you feel the need to be certified?
Welcome BTW!!

Mishele, everyone is certifiable! Some just want it to be known and official!

Was also looking for something online.

I was wondering, if you wanted to start your own little business do you need to be certified?

Bitter Jeweler said:

Yes, exactly! ; )

I know it isn't necessary, but I just want something to back up my Work of Art. It's Me ;)

This is the only certification I know of: Get Certified | Certified Professional Photographer
It is $500 ($100 if you are a PPA member) , you have 3 years to complete the test and image submission. Then you have to pay $50 a month. After 5 years you have to re-certify by taking the test again or earning enough merits from the PPA.

Online schools are convenient but you have to be very disciplined. More so than if you went to a traditional school. But schooling is not required to become certified. The PPA does offer a prep class for the test.

The hardest part is the image submission. If one photo does not meet the specifications the whole lot is disqualified and you have to re-submit. It's a lot of work if you are just starting out because each submission has to be from a different client and you can only send in 1 photo of each subject; ie; You did a shoot of the same person at two different times, you can only submit 1 of that person. It's easier for someone who has already been in business and has a pool of client shoots to choose from.

A landscape artist or someone who just shoots and submits their photos to stock photography would not bother with certification. It is only a marketing tool for retail/commercial photographers. In reality, most people have never heard of the PPA or certification and commercial photogs are chosen more on their portfolio and reputation. Good luck. I hope this information helps.

Bitter Jeweler said:

Yes, exactly! ; )

I know it isn't necessary, but I just want something to back up my Work of Art. It's Me ;)

Your "Work of Art" will stand on it's owm merrits.
No amount of certification will make your "Work of Art" any better than it is. It won't make anyone look at the "Work of Art" and say "oh, it MUST be good, it was made by a certified (whatever)".

Your work is your credibility.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back