Hello! Looking for help.

[email protected]

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello. I am looking for some help. I am no photographer, but my wife is taking an interest in it. I wanted to buy her a gift for mother's day so, I bought her the Sigma 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 dg macro sld autofocus lens for her Nikon D40. I was originally going to get her the Nikon
70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF-S VR Autofocus Lens. The cheapest place that I found it on the internet was at a place called Stop and Shop Digital. However, when I called to place my order with them, the guy there talked me out of it by saying that it wouldn't work right with the Nikon D40. Then he told me what I needed was the Sigma lens I mentioned before. He made it sound like it was the latest and greatest lens for the Nikon D40 within the 70-300mm parameter. They sell it for about $349. Did I get taken, or is that about right? Is it a good lens and most importantly, is my wife gonna be happy with her Mother's Day present, or should I call back and cancel right away? I will appreciate any and all input. Thanks

B&H sells the lens for about $160. This is a pretty typical tactic where they pressure you into buying something overpriced where they have a much larger margin.

So, did I fall for a bunch of B.S. then? Would the original lens that I was going to purchase work? Is the lens that I did purchase a good lens and will my wife be happy with it? Thanks.

The original lens would have worked fine. The Sigma may or may not autofocus on the D40, I'm having trouble finding much information online-- Sigma redesigned the lens recently so that it would focus on the D40, but older stock of the lens will not AF.

I had someone in another forum tell me that the Sigma would autofocus so, I hope that he is right. Thanks.

These discount shops are more or less bait-and-switch scam shops that operate under one name then another to avoid being shut down. The best way to stay safe from them is to frequent a local camera shop or the "big" NYC shops like Adorama and B&H.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back