Hello, my name is;

asherexplore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Kevin Asher Todd

I live in my truck - I could say a lot of other things about myself that are more important, but, at least know you know why i've included my truck in two of these shots.

I've just recently become more seriously interested in photography.
I'm in a serious growth stage, i've just been trying to learn learn learn.

This forum has helped me some, i think i just might stick around here for awhile....;)

Anyway.. I've been reading way more than actually useing my camera.
So I decided i should take a few shots of myself and my life to use - as an introduction of sorts.

i dont really want to say what body im useing :/
I just got a
Sigma 10-20
and
nikkor 50 1.4
and i used those two lenses for these shots...

(1)
thestretch.jpg

(2)
mirror.jpg

(3)
wadeing.jpg

ok, #1 im very proud of, i like it alot.
#2 i really dont like that much, it was an experiment that i didnt get to work as i had envisioned, but i included it so you could see my face better.
#3 i dont know. it is what it is.

C&C is very welcome, if you feel so inclined.

You and me both, man. (about the growth thing)

I think the 3rd is my favorite because of the composition. I think it'd be better if you'd crop out some of that negative space at the bottom. But I like the curve that the grass makes against that water that kind of leads to you. I'd like to see some more of those color tones in the water behind you! They're all too dark to me; too much contrast.

At any rate, keep learning and doing. I wanna see your next shots!

I agree with Robitussin about #3. Unfortunately, I disagree with you about #1. The sun is completely blown out. Would have liked to see a bit more silhouette of you.

i really like number 3, but id prefer more of your face/body and less of the background. the foreground looks great with those ripples in the water and the vegetation. i dont think your reflection in the water adds to the image and so i would chop off the bottom fifth or so

#3: how is it that you're in position, and snapping a shot, yet the ripples behind you are seeming to just break the stillness of the water. It's like glass back there. It's as if you just got in and took the picture immediately, but I know you probably didn't. That's what strikes me most. I don't know much about photography at all, but that's my input. I like it.

hmmm im still going to reserve #1 as my favorite.
When i was setting that shot up i intended to block the sun and have a more solid silhouette of myself..and i took several that way. they turned out just ok. but i started messing around a little bit more and thats when i took #1. i like it more in the full size version. I understand why yall aren't as attracted to it, its kinda a personal one for me i guess..

maybe i will pick one of the ones with the sun blocked and post it too.

#3 was a real pain to take (a remote would have been nice)
Its a little out of focus, i was having trouble getting the focus right.
I would have liked to compose it differently - i didnt think to stick my tripod in the water, but that would have done the trick to get in tighter.
Also i was more concerned about avoiding the plain sky than avoiding the foreground, thats why i chose this composition. I didnt even consider cropping it, im not sure why i didnt try that, will have to play with it and see. I was using a 10 sec timer and running in and out of the water.. i spent a while editing these and i kept stopping to pull thorns out of my feet.. i should have worn sandals or somthing

All 3 of these are good! I really like your tones and contrast. #1 is my personal favorite.

here is another one from yesterday + a few older ones that are about me...

(4)
dirtyfeet.jpg

(5)
eyeshair.jpg

(6)-dinner time, oh yea
ramen.jpg

yesterday i took the one with me standing in that pond.. i've been working all day, and i haven't showered yet, i still have that awesome stagnant pond smell following me around :) lol.. its starting to stink.

Interesting life you live.... Im facinated... Seems like you choose to live in your truck?

How come?

Interesting life you live.... Im facinated... Seems like you choose to live in your truck?

How come?

I don't like houses.
I work in 6 - 8 new houses every day. i get to see familys with their guard down.. just the repair guy-its still ok to hit the kids, no one has cleaned the house up, no one is on good behavior.. its a raw look at how many different ppl live their daily life...

its insane, i cant belive how ppl live. hot pockets - soap operas - video games - screaming kids - ignorant parents - no control.

I just really enjoy feeling more free than that...
and i cant claim i have some great life or anything.. i still eat alot of shi*$y fast food and waste money on all kinds of random stuff..
i have way too nice of a truck..
im thinking of trying to get rid of my truck, it has me kinda trapped right now, i owe so much on it that i have too work a lot just to pay the bill.

I guess im kinda quick to do whatever i want... i think a lot about what i want, but if i decide i want it.. im gonna do it.

I am loving the number 5 and 6 shots! shows alot of your life and emotion involved.

I am glad you are doing what you want, and what makes your life better. I see what you are saying about how people live, I don't like it either. I am go with the flow type person.

Keep taking great and interesting shots, I can't wait to see more!

your car and your camera - really the only 2 things you need :mrgreen:

honestly, i'm digging all your photos you've posted so far...something very raw and unpretentious about them. i want to see more.

Thanks for all your nice comments, and please feel free to keep the criticism coming.
-
The first one was just a quick snapshot that i took driving home after buying this new lens (sigma 10-20)...

The 2nd one im not going to explain it unless someone really asks. It justs is.

The 3rd is a pretty old shot and i've posted it here before. but now i've edited it some and i feel like it belongs in this series. (if you didnt see where i posted it before then i will simply add that I lived in the parking lot of these grain silos for a few years in central illinois)

(7)
driveing.jpg

(8)
face1.jpg

(9)
hippie.jpg

Most reactions

Back