Help :) A good camera for macro and family pics

MichalDosi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi!! I need your guys help...
I'm looking for a camera to use for 2 main purposes.
* Family pictures - field trips, in and out doors pictures with good quality.
* High quality macro pictures of glass art that i make. Manuel control.

My budget is 500-600$ and I'm really lost...

Any advice?

How big is your glass art? Macro really means frame filling images of teeny bugs - is your glass this small? Probably not, so you seem to need a close focusing lens. Many kit lenses will focus pretty close, might be an idea to visit a camera shop and give one a test ride. All modern DSLRs and many bridge cameras have manual (not manuel!) controls. Why do you require manual controls, do you actually know how to use them?

Neither lens is full macro on these cameras. A macro lens will set you back most of your budget. i suggest you look into a bridge camera

Neither lens is full macro on these cameras. A macro lens will set you back most of your budget. i suggest you look into a bridge camera
I prefer DSLR because of the speed and convenience and ability to extend. If budget is tough I'd recommend to try macro extension tube than dedicated macro lens. For still subjects (like art glass) they will be very good.

I prefer DSLR because of the speed and convenience and ability to extend. If budget is tough I'd recommend to try macro extension tube than dedicated macro lens. For still subjects (like art glass) they will be very good.
Op says he wants to shoot family and macro without changing lens. Also restricted on budget

I'm telling you brother, don't even think of going for kit lenses. 18-55 Its bloody useless.
get a Canon 550 or 500. and get a lens 50mm (one hell of a lens for portraits) and then go for 18-135( that too)
I have 600D with 50mm 1.8 and 18-135, Using them, I do weddings, Concerts, Portraits,Band shoots, Fashion & the best part is I GET PAID :)
Someones 5th eye
http://www.facebook.com/5theye

Op says he wants to shoot family and macro without changing lens.
Where is the part about not changing the lens? If family have kids for example then fast focusing makes life a lot easier. Once I had fuji bridge camera - not an ideal experience in my opinion. And both cameras presented by topic starter are DSLRs...

I've used the 18-55mm kit lens on my Canons with good results, have had a few shots published in magazines, so it certainly wasn't useless to me.

Op says he wants to shoot family and macro without changing lens.
Where is the part about not changing the lens? If family have kids for example then fast focusing makes life a lot easier. Once I had fuji bridge camera - not an ideal experience in my opinion. And both cameras presented by topic starter are DSLRs...

if the first one will be able to take the macro pictures without having to change the lens

Maybe there

I'm telling you brother, don't even think of going for kit lenses. 18-55 Its bloody useless.
get a Canon 550 or 500. and get a lens 50mm (one hell of a lens for portraits) and then go for 18-135( that too)
I have 600D with 50mm 1.8 and 18-135, Using them, I do weddings, Concerts, Portraits,Band shoots, Fashion & the best part is I GET PAID :)
Someones 5th eye
http://www.facebook.com/5theye
While the 50 is good for portraits and the 18-135 has better range I completely disagree that the 18-55 kit lens is useless. Actually now i am typing I remember seeing a few photos by a regular poster Buckster from a kit lens that would prove without arguement how untrue your statement is

Most reactions

Back