help a newbie?

nyamy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me here. I've always wanted to learn how to take great photos, but the reality is that as a busy on-the-go mom to 4 little ones, all I want right now is the ability to take some really good photos of my little ones. I don't, realistically speaking, have the time and energy to devote to learning all the intricacies of high quality photography. maybe one day, but not for a while.

so what type of camera would you recommend? right now I have a sony cybershot and I cannot stand it. I've spent lots of time learning how to use it and no matter what I do the photos are never sharp. dh wanted to get me a dslr for my birthday, but I'm not so sure I need one. we're willing to spend, but I'm worried it will be wasted on someone with my (limited) skills.

thanks for reading

. we're willing to spend,

That is an extremely loaded statement in the world of photography. You can spend anywhere from $600-$800 all the way up to tens of thousands of dollars yo get started so to say "we're willing to spend" you really need to get alot more specific.

hmm there is also another area you might consider trying if you are pressed for time to really learn.
Post processing - most digital cameras capture softer images than film do and you might give something like GIMP (free editing software and good quality) or photoshop elements a try. Lookup and use the unsharpen mask to boost the sharpness of your digicams shots. Its quick and might be better for you now.

Aside from that, yes some sort of indecation of how much you have is really needed for use to be able to help.

Get the DSLR. P&S's totally suck. They're noisy, slow, have lousy autofocus, and to make any changes in the camera, you have to re-read the instruction manual. IMHO, there's just as much learning curve in using one as there is to using a DSLR.

sorry about being vague. we're willing to spend up to $1500.

and thanks, Early, for the advice. that is dh's gut feeling as well.

part of me, though, wants to go back to a film camera. but that's another discussion altogether, I guess.

Most reactions

Back