Help a young high school photographer out?

DanielleZuni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My teacher asked me to take a slow shutterspeed photo with an intentional blur and a pattern break. She said Jaques Henri Lartigue used this sometimes. Does anyone have examples or ideas for how I could put all of these things together in one photo?. I'm in a photography class in a high school level so It doesn't need to be that complicated.

What is meant by "pattern break"?

I looked at that guys images, and I see what he was all about, but I don't see pattern break as I understand it.

I looked at that guys images, and I see what he was all about, but I don't see pattern break as I understand it.
I was wondering the same thing...I understood slow shutterspeed and motion blur...but I've never heard of a "pattern break."

3 threads on this now?

Breathe... I'm sure someone will respond to your first one.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...eed-photo-intentional-blur-pattern-break.html

From the TPF rules and regs.

Note the section highlighted and underlined:

* Spamming is not tolerated. Do not cross-post messages in multiple forums in an effort to gain attention. Furthermore, should it be obvious by your signature or posting style that you are here only to promote your business or product, you may receive a warning or possibly be banned. It is permissible for active, involved members to post links to their personal or business web sites.

stop opening new threads of the same topic... here's one that i did yesterday

1sec shutter @ f22 with rear synch flash... use ur flash; set the camera to 1second; take the pic, as soon as the shutter opens, move the camera to the desired effect

4386290118_f4348aa004.jpg

I was wondering the same thing...I understood slow shutterspeed and motion blur...but I've never heard of a "pattern break."

Pattern break is just like what it sounds.. a break in a pattern.

For instance:
A field of dead, drooping sunflowers with that single live one sticking up that refuses to die.
An odd color brick in a wall of faded red ones.
Something out of the ordinary from the rest of the scene....

First thought off the top of my head for combining motion blur and pattern break.... an odd or bright colored car in a field of cars going by.

EDIT: Here is an example of Jaques Lartigue combining blur and pattern break (google is your friend...) http://www.oswaldgallery.com/images/586.jpg

Looking at his work, he did quite a bit of one or the other, but very few together.

Last edited:
Not mentioned is that a Neutral Density filter is your friend with low ISO to get slow shutter speeds.

Pattern break is just like what it sounds.. a break in a pattern.

For instance:
A field of dead, drooping sunflowers with that single live one sticking up that refuses to die.
An odd color brick in a wall of faded red ones.
Something out of the ordinary from the rest of the scene....

First thought off the top of my head for combining motion blur and pattern break.... an odd or bright colored car in a field of cars going by.

EDIT: Here is an example of Jaques Lartigue combining blur and pattern break (google is your friend...) http://www.oswaldgallery.com/images/586.jpg

Looking at his work, he did quite a bit of one or the other, but very few together.

I did googled. :p

So it is exactly what I thought it was (pattern break) but it just didn't jump out at me. I was thinking about it in a rather simplistic way. Thanks for taking it further!

Most reactions

Back