HELP!! - Action Shots

Eventer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleclarke.co.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay i have a showjumping show tommorow and i'd love to get some really good photos, so i was practising getting actionshots of my little brothing jumping on the tramnpoline! I cant do it - Theres slight blurring i put the shutter speed up and then they come out dark. Ill show u what i mean.
I dont know what to do, Then i put it on the "sports mode" but no better... Tell me what u think :D
And remember that horses are going to be jumping quite a bit fater than a kid on a tramp! :lol:

SLR091.jpg

1/200, F5, iso100 (wrong settings??)

SLR086.jpg

1/250, F5.6, iso100

SLR084.jpg

1/200, F5, iso100

What do i need to change?? This fancy stuff is all very confusing!!

I reall want to be able to get nice crisp photos like this one taken by my friend kate ( geegeephotography.co.nz)
5400_132258976109_132228096109_3142364_6621089_n.jpg

im a noob myself but i think the exposure on your photos are abit too low

I am assuming that you are shooting digital. If that is the case try raising your iso up so you can get a much faster shutter speed. Keep in mind though that is you are going to be using a flash you will be limited on shutter speed to you flash sync speed.

I have been out of it a while but that is what I would try.

Michael

I too would say raise your ISO, and keep in mind that in your trampoline shots you have a lot of the sky in the picture, if you're using the auto-metering you may want to change it to center-weighted or zoom in closer to your subject if possible so the reading is more accurate to the subject that you want to capture.

I'm assuming you can boost iso to about 400 and not regret the noise... thus set iso to 400, shutter b/n 1/250-1/500, play with aperture to get a good exposure. if you can use the flash - USE it.

Yes the higher the ISO the higher the shutter speed you can shoot. You still need to make sure you meter is correct. I very seldom shoot on an automatic setting I prefer full manual. What you are going to find is you are going to have to have a shallow depth of field and a fast shutter speed. That is basically what must automatic cameras will do if you set them for sports photography.

Keep shooting and let us know how it goes with the horses.

Michael

Okay thanks for replying
Okay so what do i reakon i should put the iso up too??
So the higher the iso the higer i can make the shutter speed yeah?? (Told im a noob!)

Do some test shots to see - try ISO 400... depend on the weather and your camera. Just be aware that the higher you go in the ISO range, the more pixelation you can get. For action you want your shutter pretty wide, so the lowest F-stop or a step or two above.

I see you have the Sony A200, you may want to just shoot in "P" mode, this will allow you to select your own ISO, then the camera will do the rest. If you don't like those results, switch it over to "A" mode, this will allow you to select your own ISO, and F-stop.

Thanks everyone again - This site really is great!
Ive jotted everything down and im going to go out soon and get some more photos of somthing moving/jumping (might go hassel the dog)

Another question - I dont entirly get ISO, what is it and whats if good for lol, like for what photos would you raise and lower the ISO?

Understanding Exposure.

It's a book.
It's a book you must get.
Get it.

Thanks everyone again - This site really is great!
Ive jotted everything down and im going to go out soon and get some more photos of somthing moving/jumping (might go hassel the dog)

Another question - I dont entirly get ISO, what is it and whats if good for lol, like for what photos would you raise and lower the ISO?

I am a film shooter so I am not up to date with digital but I will give you the film version.

Long ago in a studio far far away we a thing called film. :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway with film you had film speeds. That is what speed or ISO the film was rated at. What this basically meant was how much time the exposure needed to be at. {simple version, not trying to a smart alek} I just do not remember the exact science behind it.

Slower ISO's where great for portraits as they could be enlarged fairly large without a lot of grain showing up in the enlargments. The problem is that slower speeds i.e. 25, 60. or 100 do not generally work well in lower light conditions and require slower shutter speeds to be in exposure.

Faster speeds like 400 are great for general outdoor/indoor photography but may pose a problem when trying to enlarge to much larger sizes " 16 x 20 or 20 x 24 " due to heavier grain or spots in the picture.

Super fast films like 1600 or 3200 are great for nighttime shoots if I remember correctly.

I hope some of this helps. I have been out of pocket for the last 18 years or so, and I am not up on all of the digital stuff. This is what the old school ISO was. I am assuming that it is the same with the digital.

I have heard of "noise" at the higher ISO's in digital but I am not sure exactly what that means.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Theres no reason to have shot any of these scenes at F/5 unless that is the smallest aperture your camera wanted to use. There DEFINITELY is no reason to shoot it at ISO100. . .unless this was a product shot of some sort, you can raise the noise two stops to ISO 400.

You should not be shooting at slower than 1/250th of a second if you want to freeze this action. Put your camera in Shutter Priority mode, and go from there.

Okay today went well I think. I had the camera set onto A. and i changed the ISO to 400, the shutter changed automaticaly, I know the are crappy photos but i just needed somthing moving at a bit of speed. let me know what you think action shot wise. :D

Ive written all the settings i had it on on the photo to make it easy :D
(My doggie rocks!)

SLR111.jpg

SLR131.jpg

SLR134.jpg

SLR135.jpg

SLR138.jpg

SLR117.jpg

:D

I agree with T Town. I think we're both not familiar with digital cams. If I remember right I'll try to shoot with 400 Asa at 500 shutter speed (put the camera at shutter speed priority so that the aperture adjusts automatically) do not go below 500 or else blurring will occur. hope this helps

Most reactions

New Topics

Back