Help adjusting skin tones and white balance

Jhazard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just curious if anyone can give me some tips on editing this photo and how to get better skin tones

IMG_6645.JPG

Also the blanket she is on is not white, it's a pale pink

I used the eyedropper in Lightroom to pick up a pixel in the white yarn in the hood. I think the adjustment is so minute, I don't see any difference.

IMG_6645.jpg

Read Lee Varis' Skin

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Number of things, going on in this image. First you've overexposed the highlights (see the blanket & the belly button), nothing there. 2nd you've missed focus on the baby, and complicated it with a shallow depth of field. On kids I like to focus on the eyes so sharp I can see the eye lashes. Adjust your exposure for a DOF that will include the body or at least all the facial features. Lastly your white balance is way off (If you use a white/gray/black target as your first exposure you can use that in post to correct the WB) If you can re shoot it, you'd be better off starting with a good exposure. Natural light and reflectors would be a far better choice
As others above have already recommended get your hands on a copy of "Skin", it's really a good resource on post processing skin. In the edit below, I first used a levels adjustment, and exposure adjustment. A general adjustment to saturation, then I used a hue/saturation adjustment/eyedroppers to target the reds, to bring them down. Another layer with a mask using surface blur, to blend the colors slightly. Another 50% gray layer was used to dodge and burn followed by another levels adjustment. It still needs work but you get the idea.
IMG_6645 edit.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back