Help/advice digital SLRs

Han

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Dear All,

Please can anybody prevent me from going insane? I know this is the type of question that there is no specific answer to, as there are so many variables involved; however, I would benefit so much from hearing people’s experiences, preferences and any advice they have to offer.
My question is about professional Digital SLR’s. I am currently using a canon D60 and I am looking to buy an additional beast which could even be considered an upgrade.
I shoot portraiture, general stock and commercial product work i.e. pack shots. I may be dabbling into the world of sports photography later in the year but this is only a maybe at present.
I am looking at something with high resolution (for the stock libraries), good tonal range and quality (for the portraiture) and a good clear, sharp, crisp image with as little noise as possible. So I guess, a general good all rounder!

I have been looking at the canon 1DS. It looks like the sort of thing I am after but I am aware it is a small fortune. Somebody recently said to me though, it’s great but you can get equal results from other pro digital SLR’s which cost half the price. For example, the Fuji S2 or Kodak Pro SLR/n.
I have looked into both these cameras but have some concerns. Firstly, it seems the Kodak is pretty cool and has huge resolution, little noise and good ISO range. The downside being some weird colour aliasing, colour fringing and some confusing colour balance settings.
The S2 seems good but I’m slightly confused about the interpolating thing. Does this affect the quality and would this not be very popular with the image libraries who may want a high res, un-interpolated RAW file? Where and when does the interpolation take place? Also I have heard people express their concerns with their highlights burning out.

Finally the Canon D1 mark 2. This looks good but a resolution of only 8 megapixels compared to the 6mp of my D60 and 11.5 of the 1DS doesn’t seem to be much of an upgrade if you get me.
I then spoke to somebody last week that works in IT who said that resolution doesn’t matter, makes no difference. I’m not sure what they meant as surely it’s a factor if you are shooting pack shots or something which may be blown up to very large scale adverts? Surely you need a high res image to do this or are there separate interpolation programmes, which make this possible from a lower res image? I understand that resolution is not that much of a factor if you are shooting portraits where your largest print is only ever going to be a 16” x 12”, or am I missing something here?

As you can see, I’m in a mess. Please forgive my lack of knowledge in some areas :oops:, I am very young and am trying to learn all I can but find keeping up a struggle at times!
If anybody has any experience or knowledge of these products and could recommend something for my needs, or even a definite no would be helpful, I would be very grateful. Shall I splash out or save my pennies?? Any help would be grand. Thanks so much in advance.

Resolution alone mean nothing. You have to factor in many things like optics, color, AF systems, noise and about 500 more factors.

If it were megapixels only, I would've bought a no name 3 mp camera for 120 bucks instead of my cannon for 700.

The difference lies in the final image quality. There are 4 mp cameras that make excellent A4 prints.

Just calculate: take the numbers. with 3 mp you get roughly 2000*1500. If the optics and the camera does it's job well you'll be able to make 10 by 15 inch 200 dpi prints. Which is about 8 pixels per mm, almost the limit. which the eye can see.

I never owned a dSLR, so the best I can do is give you some links:
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

BTW: Fuji and Kodak are yet nowhere near cannon in terms of dSLR IMHO

Resolution is a factor, but only up to a point. There are other factors that affect image quality as well. There are also several things that make the Canon 1Ds stand out over the others; the biggest in my opinion is the full-frame sensor. Here's a question for you since you already have the D60: What lenses do you have? You may save money on the body going to one of the other cameras, but if you already have several Canon lenses, it may be wisest to stick with Canon. I am using the 10D myself, and think it's great.

There's a fair price difference between each one, so I would go with what you can afford. The 10D is one I would consider on the low end of the pro scale. It will be enough camera for most people, but if you have the cash to spend, the others do offer additional features.

Hi guys,

Thank you both for taking the time to respond. Your help has been great and you make some very interesting, helpful but best of all valid points!

Thank you again, I am new to this forum and it makes a nice change to see positive anf informative posts, clearly written by smart people who know their stuff!

I'll be back for more...thanks

Most reactions

Back