HELP - ADVICE/OPINION WANTED

How close is the wedding?

This Saturday.
Oops, must have missed that. Okay, in that case I would definitely NOT bale on them; I think the potential bad press you could incur would outweigh the loss of working for free. Their chances of getting another quality shooter on four days notice are almost zero, and you know that people will never hear YOUR side when they tell everyone how their photographer quit just because they didn't want some pictures on his website.

I don't think it's being dishonest unless you tell her she can do what she wants, you are only giving a little time in hopes of a better outcome when you discuss this again after.

"Ok I will take them down for now and when we have the whole package together we will sit down together and go over it."

Where is the lie? She knows your position and it is unchanged IMHO.

I like this. It's acknowledging and hopefully can leadto resolution.

the problem is...what does he do AFTER the wedding, when they sit down and she STILL insists on her pictures not being used in any way.
after the fact, neither of them have much ground. he either takes a hard line and sticks to the legal contract and pisses her off....or he takes a hit on all that work he has put out to make her happy. there wont be any middle ground. I think it may be better to just cut his losses. her mind is not likely to change. i sure wouldn't gamble on it.

I still stand by doing it and talking after, as John said backing out now only a few days before with or without discussion is guaranteed 100% to give him bad press no ifs ands or buts about it, he has the same rights if he talks before or after and he has a better expectation of a reasonable outcome (her understanding) if they talk after.

the problem is...what does he do AFTER the wedding, when they sit down and she STILL insists on her pictures not being used in any way.
after the fact, neither of them have much ground. he either takes a hard line and sticks to the legal contract and pisses her off....or he takes a hit on all that work he has put out to make her happy. there wont be any middle ground. I think it may be better to just cut his losses. her mind is not likely to change. i sure wouldn't gamble on it.

This is also true. I think a good way to approach it ( after reading these posts) is mention that you have a contract that is signed and if either party is breaking the contract, its void and if she insists on not agreeing to the terms of the contract, then saying you may not be the best resource for her. Butttttt pick a way to say it very nicely. It's allowing her to make the decision. Also, mention that you are willing to work with her as much as possible but these are the terms originally agreed to.

Yes, if it goes south, you receive bad publicly because SHE didn't agree to the terms of the contract she originally did. Since the wedding is this Saturday, it might make her think differently.

All it boils down to is unrealistic expectations. She agreed to do something, went with the resource after agreeing, and at the last minute is changing her mind. The expectations have been set. She's prob in a crazy frame of mind this last week and may feel differently after the big day is over.

I'm at work right now so I'm sure I forgot to add something. Sorry :)

The dilemma, oh woe is me! Kinda interesting though at least. No I won't cancel on her, that is just not me but perhaps I will give her the option .. like "I will take down the images for now, until we have time to discuss this further after the wedding, even though doing so is contrary to our agreement and costing me potential revenue"

Something like that?

The dilemma, oh woe is me! Kinda interesting though at least. No I won't cancel on her, that is just not me but perhaps I will give her the option .. like "I will take down the images for now, until we have time to discuss this further after the wedding, even though doing so is contrary to our agreement and costing me potential revenue"

Something like that?

Yup one thing less to be stressed about.

Something like that?
Exactly, and once the dust has all settled, she has two choices: Pay extra for you to keep them down (a LOT extra), or the contract stands and they go back up.

Did she say why she doesn't want you to use them? How long have they been on your blog? What is she concerned with? I would get to the bottom of this first.

They've been on my blog for 2 months..maybe 3. She says privacy, she doesn't even want me to link the Venue because people will see her images. Like she's so important? That is the reason, she feels her personal security is at risk.

I have already made the blog nonpublic and sent her an email stating we can relax until after the wedding and resume discussion then. At least that allows a more pleasant work environment this Sat.

I am in no way a pro, but having dealt with people in a customer service setting that dealt with contracts. You honestly hold all the cards. What you have done already is more than you have too. After you shoot the wedding, provide the service you promised and keep your end of the bargain. Then kindly explain to her that she signed the contract and unless she wants to buy the rights to the images, they are yours to do with what you choose. Period. All this after you have been paid of course. After almost 2 decades in the customer service industry, I speak with a lot experience. You simply can't keep everyone happy and at some point you have to keep them honest and let them know they are simply wrong and they need to deal with it. Not only is this a learning experience for you but it is for her as well. That will cost you 2 cents, sir. :) Good luck and let us know what comes of it.

I wouldn't have given them a cheap price in the first place, is she fat and ugly ? if not why would she not want them on show

Last edited:
I wouldn't have given them a cheap price in the first place, is she fat and ugly ? if not why would she not want them on show

No, she is normal, no beauty queen but young and not hard to look at. She's being weird, no reason I can understand.

They've been on my blog for 2 months..maybe 3. She says privacy, she doesn't even want me to link the Venue because people will see her images. Like she's so important? That is the reason, she feels her personal security is at risk.

I have already made the blog nonpublic and sent her an email stating we can relax until after the wedding and resume discussion then. At least that allows a more pleasant work environment this Sat.
It sounds like something else is going on here that she is not telling you.

No, she is normal, no beauty queen but young and not hard to look at. She's being weird, no reason I can understand.

Thermal dynamics is waaaay easier to understand in my experience lol.

Most reactions

Back