Help choosing 1st Dslr

yakapo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I'm in the market for my first dslr. I currently own a p&s Sony Hx5. It's been ok for what we've needed it for - mostly shots in well lit areas and hd video and it's tiny. Just 5 days ago I became a daddy and I want to take more photos of our new baby girl. However we are shooting w/ the flash off because it washes out the image up close. Problem is, it's just too grainy with the flash off. Also I'd like to get some shots with a narrow depth of field. I'm going to buy something used and take a short course on photography or perhaps have a friend tutor me. I used to run camera for a small low budget tv studio many many years ago so I know a little something about framing.

At first I thought I'd get one of those micro 4/3's cameras but then I figured they wouldn't do as well in low light as a full frame. The camera doesn't really have to do video - I can use our p&s for that. If at all possible I'd like to get a used full kit for about $450 or even less. Doesn't have to be anything great, just entry level. I won't hesitate to invest more into this hobby if I make use of it. *off subject but I started out biking several years ago. I think my first bike cost around $350 - within a few years I had bought several $2k bikes. Still bike 30-40 miles weekly. Point being - I will start out slow. In case I lose interest, I can just sell what I bought and I'm just out $100 or so.

So to review I need something
1. used and cheap
2. capable low light shots
3. bonus - shallow depth of field (maybe if it came with a 50mm lens instead of the zoom kit lens?)

If I should be considering a micro 4/3's with a pancake lens instead of dslr please let me know. I apologize if I'm not using the proper terms - i'm a newbie in every sense. =D

You're not going to find a FF body & lens that fits in your buget unless it "fell off the back of a truck". You could probably find a Canon 5D Mk I with lens if you were able to double your budget, but that's not the greatest low-light body. For probably $750 you could find a used Nikon D300 & 50mm 1.8, which isn't full-frame, but does very well in low light. Keep in mind though, that while you may want that really thin DoF, a prime lens is not nearly as versatile as a good zoom, especially when the child is a little older and more ambulatory.

So to review I need something
1. used and cheap
Not really possible if #2 is a major concern especially at $450 or less

2. capable low light shots

Best on the nikon side would be a D90 (same Sensor as the D300 and cheaper) with 50mm f1.8 AF-D which would run around $600 range used. I tried micro 4/3rds Panasonic G1 with a 20mm f1.7 and was nice little package. But shooting low light above 400 iso was pretty noisy images. And not to my standard. Tho may be find for others.

Exposure0.04 sec (1/25)
Aperturef/1.7
Focal Length20 mm
ISO Speed160

Heading Home,Kick Back for some Tunes by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Again tho price is the factor and may find a micro-4/3rds that is acceptable to you.

3. bonus - shallow depth of field (maybe if it came with a 50mm lens instead of the zoom kit lens?)

Plenty shallow depth on f2.8 zooms but lens itself almost meets your current budget alone.
The Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF-D is pretty cheap at $125 new and can be found used for $75-$100.

If I should be considering a micro 4/3's with a pancake lens instead of dslr please let me know. I apologize if I'm not using the proper terms - i'm a newbie in every sense. =D

Best is to try out a setup unfortunetly new going to be in the $500-$700 range for New micro-4/3rds camera with a 30 day return so you can determine if it works for you. Buying used won't give you that option.

Best low light performer for less amount of cash would be the D90 with the 50mm f1.8D around $600. As 1600 iso and even 3200 usable for low light.

CameraNikon D90
Exposure0.04 sec (1/25)
Aperturef/2.0
Focal Length50 mm
ISO Speed4000

Nifty Fifty Blur by Orbmiser, on Flickr

But the major hamstring seems to be unrealistic expectations for the budget given.

I think everyone is confusing his lack of a better vocabulary for a suggestion in what he wants. He won't be able to find even a D90 (which is still a cropped body) for the budget he's looking for.

I would suggest a D40. It's a great start out camera and it's SUPER easy to learn on. The viewfinder only has 3 focus points, which will make learning to focus a breeze. Not to mention, you can get a D40 with an 18-55 kit lens now for about $250.00 in the right place. I wouldn't purchase new on your first one. Just make sure it's in good shape, and the shutter count is moderately low for the year of the camera (I wouldn't buy a D40 with 95,000 shutter actuations on it, but I WOULD buy one with 40-50k).

You can then keep the lens and any others you get for this camera, and simply upgrade your body to something more sophisticated later on. I would suggest moving in slow increments. I would move from the D40 to a D90 or D300 (Something in between entry level and professional) and then I would think about the D700 and D800 later (if you really want to. Personally I don't have a need for an FX camera, as they are too bulky for my needs. The highest I would ever go is probably a D7k.)

Anyway. That's my $0.02.

You're not going to find a FF body & lens that fits in your buget unless it "fell off the back of a truck". You could probably find a Canon 5D Mk I with lens if you were able to double your budget, but that's not the greatest low-light body. For probably $750 you could find a used Nikon D300 & 50mm 1.8, which isn't full-frame, but does very well in low light. Keep in mind though, that while you may want that really thin DoF, a prime lens is not nearly as versatile as a good zoom, especially when the child is a little older and more ambulatory.

Ok, I guess I made the mistake of assuming that most dslr's were full frame. I'd be happy with a cropped frame.

edit: I don't need autofocus either.

Last edited:
I found a Sony DSLR-A330 on craigslist. They are asking $300 but I'm willing to bet they would take $250. It's about 2 years old. They seem like the type who wouldn't know what the shutter count is - "we have no clue how to use it properly".

What do you guys/girls think?

I found a Sony DSLR-A330 on craigslist. They are asking $300 but I'm willing to bet they would take $250. It's about 2 years old. They seem like the type who wouldn't know what the shutter count is - "we have no clue how to use it properly".

I'm not a sony fan (of course, you could tell that from my sig) but at that price I would jump all over it. If it's 2 years old, and use the camera as much as the average family uses one, you're looking at 15,000 to 20,000 shutter count, which isn't bad at all.

I'm not a sony fan (of course, you could tell that from my sig) but at that price I would jump all over it. If it's 2 years old, and use the camera as much as the average family uses one, you're looking at 15,000 to 20,000 shutter count, which isn't bad at all.

I'm with Aaron on this one. I don't have any experience with Sony dslr's, but Ive heard they have a great sensor. and the price sounds like its pretty decent. in my area on Craigslist, ive been seeing Nikon D40's in the $250ish range.
a few D70's, D3000's and D5000's in the $400ish range. even a D200 for $425. just depends on how much hunting you want to do. you can try eBay as well. I'm sure you can fine Canon or Sony equivalents for close to the same price range.

Nikon D40 body for $175-$200 used. Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G Aspherical lens for high-speed [AKA wide-aperture], low-light uses, shallow depth of field shots, lightness, and ease of use. Nikon 35mm f/1.8 AF-S G "normal" lens for walkaround. Nikon SB-600 flash for quality flash shots. 18-55 kit lens for weekends.

Nikon D40 body for $175-$200 used. Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G Aspherical lens for high-speed [AKA wide-aperture], low-light uses, shallow depth of field shots, lightness, and ease of use. Nikon 35mm f/1.8 AF-S G "normal" lens for walkaround. Nikon SB-600 flash for quality flash shots. 18-55 kit lens for weekends.

Thanks to everyone for the help! Your suggestions look like the perfect setup - I'll be on the lookout.

I found a canon EOS rebel T3 for $350 asking - supposedly a few weeks old. Comes with tripod and a memory card. He said he would take $330. If I do buy a kit like that one, I'll pick up a 50mm lens like you suggested later.

What's crazy is that I paid about that much for my wife's sony p&s. -apples and oranges I know.

The Canon T3 does not have Spot metering mode, which IMO removes it from consideration or recommendation.

Ok how about the Nikon 3100? Found one for $380 with tripod. (asking price)

Best on the nikon side would be a D90 (same Sensor as the D300 and cheaper) with 50mm f1.8 AF-D which would run around $600 range used.
+1
If you asbsolutely want to stay under 450, consider a D5000 (same sensor as the D90, but far less manual controls, then a lot more menu-digging). However, while I understand what you said about biking, I'm afraid photography is a little bit more expensive. The equivalent of a 2K USD bike would be a 3K body + 2K lens. So, the "starting point" should be proportionally higher too. D90 + 50mm is still a reasonable expense.

Ciao!

If you have a $450 budget why not start shooting with a film SLR camera? I think you will get much better results! Im not saying everyone is like me, but my first SLR in 2007 was a Nikon N80 which was given to me. The good thing about shooting film is you dont have to worry about sensors and which is better. You just chose a film you like and stick with it. I have about 10 different types of film i use.

When you shoot film you tend to take more time composing your shot make sure its perfect. When i switched to digital i was just really unhappy with the work flow. Film works for me but may not be for everyone.

My suggestion:

Canon EOS 3 $250

50mm f/1.8 $110

Epson v300 film scanner $85

Whatever is left over buy some 400 speed film

Ok how about the Nikon 3100? Found one for $380 with tripod. (asking price)

You can find much better for that price range or less. It's basically a D60 that shoots video...

Most reactions

Back