Help choosing camera. 1000$ budget

what's the best that i can get for 1000$ or less?
i'm looking for dslr camera
lens that is sharp/can do macro shot/ long range shot.
and any other accessory that i need.

Interested in selling my Rebel XTi along with the following:

18-55mm Kit lens
50mm 1.8
1GB Kingston CF Memory card
Extra Battery
4 Aftermarket Lens Hoods (2 metal/2 rubber collapsable)
1 Canon Rebel XTi Digital Field Guide (excellent book)

This camera is in pristine condition. It was purchased from Adorama in March of 2008 and is still under full factory warranty. It will come in the factory packaging with the receipt, all manuals, warranty cards, software, etc. Also has less than 1000 shutter clicks. I live in the Philadelphia area if anyone local wants to see it or purchase it in person. Asking for $750. I really DO NOT want to eBay this. Paypal accepted.

sorry, i'm not looking for used.

i'm still trying to decide over Rogan's post or the Nikon D80 or the XTI or XSI or alot of other stuff

what are your opinion everyone?

Last edited:
if you got a D80 ud only get the 1 lens and wudnt have much money for the othber important stuff

so im sticking to my guns.

also if your a beginner with no specific lens needs or no old lenses theres not a HUGE dfiferance between D40 and D80

yeah, i dont have no old lens, but i want something that can do closeups for plants. and possibly family picture like when we go to a themepark or something.

the kit lens does easily good enough macro's as well as wide angled portraits.

the kit lens does easily good enough macro's as well as wide angled portraits.
you're talking about the D40 with the 6MP?

you're talking about the D40 with the 6MP?
If you said that in a kind of "Only 6mp?" kind of way, then I'm afraid I will have to garrotte you now. :lol: 6mp is fine for almost every shot you can think of. The images are crisp and clean of noise, too.

Either way, yes, the kit 18-55mm lens that comes with the D40 is great for macro shots. It has a 1:3 reproduction ratio, which means the image on the sensor is 1/3rd the size of real life. The image sensor is about 24mm wide, so a 7.2cm subject will completely fill the frame, without cropping. I managed to get a nice shot of a tiny 1.5cm long grasshopper and, with a tiny bit of cropping, it looks great.

dsc0007fz3.jpg
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/7041/dsc0007fz3.jpg

Since we're all explaining why the brands we shoot are so great I'll throw the Pentax K10D into the ring. Incredible camera for the price, and a ridiculous selection of good cheap used glass. I got a 50mm f/2 in great condition for about $10 two weeks ago. The K10D prices have plummeted with the introduction of the K20D, and I've seen them under $800 with the very solid kit lens, which leaves room for plenty of decent used glass.

well, now i'm super confused with the megapixel, if ONLY 6MP can shoot like that then 12MP will be twice as good as that?

well, now i'm super confused with the megapixel, if ONLY 6MP can shoot like that then 12MP will be twice as good as that?

no,
not even close.

12MP is only better than 6MP if your printing poster sized images all the time,
else there is no visible differance.

oh..... so it doesnt even help in image quality at all.... that just reduced my standard by like 200-300$.

and what about if you're taking a picture and you have to crop a tiny part of it, will it be the same or what?

How about going to your friendly neighborhood camera shop, Craig's List, etc. and checking out used bodies. You might get a great price on something like a Canon 20D -- then (as others have said) sink your money into glass that you can use when you can afford to upgrade the body.

Most reactions

Back