Help choosing camera. 1000$ budget

oh..... so it doesnt even help in image quality at all.... that just reduced my standard by like 200-300$.

and what about if you're taking a picture and you have to crop a tiny part of it, will it be the same or what?
Depends on how large your print will be, and how much you crop it. I usually crop my wildlife photos to about 2,000 by 1,600 pixels from 3,000 by 2,000 (approx), and I find that absolutely great for almost any prints. If I crop to 1,200 by 900, I can still print 8X10" photographs with little to no noticable difference.

And to respond to your other post, the 12mp camera will NOT be 2x better than a 6mp one. All other things being equal, yes, the 12mp camera would be better. However, whether you would notice the difference on your average print, or even large prints, I doubt. I'm going to print a few 30" by 20" photos, and the tests I have printed (6x4 with a 600x400pixel photo) look fine to me.

Even worse, all other things are NOT equal. If you have more megapixels, you are essentially trying to cram more things into the same sized space, and that makes image quality deteriorate. Images start to become less crisp, lens faults become more apparent, and the worst of it all is that noise at high-ISO sensitivities increases. If you have a decent enough body, you can overcome these, but that burns another $600-1,000 hole in your pocket :wink:.

Basically, get 6mp and never look back. You'll be perfectly happy, and your knowledge of composition, technical knowledge, and PRACTICE can take much better photos than a fancy camera and lens.

Enjoy! Sorry if this post seemed a bit harsh, but I easily get my knickers in a twist. :mrgreen:

i'm just scared if i get a 6MP camera, i'll have to upgrade it in a few years. compared to like 10mp camera. and i seriously thought more pixel=clearer and sharper image.

i'm just scared if i get a 6MP camera, i'll have to upgrade it in a few years. compared to like 10mp camera. and i seriously thought more pixel=clearer and sharper image.

Only if you print it in a poster size. And look at it at a shorter distance.

The adv. of having a 10mp over the 6mp is if you take a picture and you like to crop it down without lose a lot of detail when print it in normal size paper.

the D60's price does not justify itself over the D40 unless you are gong to be printing poster sized prints.

and its still pushing it, there are many things about the D40 wich are better than the D60 while being cheaper

okay, i've decided on the D40. what lens should i get for longer range shooting?telephoto i think that's what its' called.

well its like 2 block away from my house... that's one thing.and its like one of the largest camera store in Los angeles.

Have you ever thought of going used? I got my D70s for $360 shipped with a 35-80 Nikkor and a battery pack. And if you buy just the body alone it is a bit cheaper. Just my $.02

i dont like used stuff. the lens are okay used if its clear, but used camera body's a no no for me...

This one seems like a pretty good package

Nikon D40 6.1 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Two Lens Kit, with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX & 55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR

http://www.adorama.com/INKD40K2A.html

Although they are not fast lens, but the image quality is not bad.

There are a lot of good options, but if it were me I'd break down that $1000 like this:

$450 = zoom lens (Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 is a great daily use lens)
$350 = camera body (like a used Nikon D70)
$100 = memory card, extra battery, and case
$100 =prime 50mm lens f/1.8

i dont like used stuff. the lens are okay used if its clear, but used camera body's a no no for me...

Lenses are more likely to be affected by use (scratches) then cameras.

You should reconsider your stance on used products, expensive cameras are typically treated very well by previous owners. With just $1000 to spend, a used body may be the difference between being able to afford a quality lens, and being stuck with a mediocre kit lens. Also most "new" DSLR's in your price range don't have an internal focus motor which will seriously limit your lens selection and/or increase the cost of your lenses.

i feel disgusted placing my face on a camera that other people put their face on.

Lenses are more likely to be affected by use (scratches) then cameras.

You should reconsider your stance on used products, expensive cameras are typically treated very well by previous owners. With just $1000 to spend, a used body may be the difference between being able to afford a quality lens, and being stuck with a mediocre kit lens. Also most "new" DSLR's in your price range don't have an internal focus motor which will seriously limit your lens selection and/or increase the cost of your lenses.

Exactly that is the main reason I bought used. Also because I did not like any of the Nikon line up that I could afford new. Plus if you get the D70 you get 1/500 sec. flash sync speed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back