Help choosing lens for Nikon FM2n

Hello,

I just bought my first film camera, a Nikon FM2-N. But it just came with the body. I wish you could help me choosing suitable lens.
I've been reading a lot about lenses, since I had no knowledge beforehand (my current camera is a Sony RX-100 with fixed lens), but remains very difficult to decide because there are dozens of models.
From what I read, the recommendations are mostly for 50mm lens, but as I said before, my current camera is a RX-100 which has 35mm equivalent lens and one its major negative points if the lack of zoom. Despite having bought that film camera to deepen my knowledge in photography, I intend to use both camera and do not know when I will buy my next lenses, then some zoom would be ideal, but I do not know whether they are good and fit my budget.
My budget is about $ 50 to $ 100, I'm a poor student :blushing:

Thanks in advance!:heart:

Here is the manual if you need one.....
http://www.cameramanuals.org/nikon_pdf/nikon_fm2.pdf

Thanks everyone. You were all very helpful!

Following your directions, now I'm looking for a second-hand 50mm f/1.8, Series E or AI.

I think they are the best I can have for the cheapest price right now.

Thanks again!

If you buy a "D" lens be sure to treat it gently as many of them use flimsy plastic construction which is prone to breakage of the barrels and filter rings, etc. Also some are prone to oil contamination of the aperture blades requiring a $175 charge from Nikon to repair and re-repair every few years.

News to me. Where did you pick up this interesting little tibdit?

It's from my experience with these lenses and the many broken ones I see on eBay and elsewhere. It mostly affects the smaller primes but I've seen it on zooms as well. The 35/2 AF/AFD Nikkor problem with oily blades is well known. I have one of these lenses that Nikon fixed for me a few years ago and now it needs it again. I also have a 24/2.8 "D" with broken lens barrel/filter ring and I often see them on eBay in this condition too. They're just not very robust lenses and I don't treat my lenses rough at all. The earlier MF lenses are so much more rugged.

It's not just Nikon. Some other 1st and 2nd generation AF lenses have similar issues. Pentax for example.

I am a big Nikon fan but, in my opinion, the most rugged 1st/2nd generation AF lensees were Minolta's Maxxum lenses.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back