Help comparing a few introductory models

FadeNation

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for some opinions outside of my friend network. I'm looking for an introductory camera that will be used primarily for photos (architecture mostly) but wouldn't mind being able to film skateboarding every now and again as well.

I'm looking for something around $400 so I've kind of had my eye on the Nikon D3300, but am tempted to spend a bit more and was also considering the Sony A6000 on the suggestion of a friend. Can anyone provide any helpful info to help me sway my decision? I'm also open to other suggestions as well.

Tax returns are on their way so I'd like to have a model picked out so I can start pricing things out. Thanks for your help!

Both are good. The Sony shoots faster shots per second but the Nikon should have better tracking focus so your amount of keepers for moving subjects may vary but I'd bet on the Nikon.

Image quality should be similar as they both use Sony 24mp sensor, but Nikon should have more lens and accessories to choose

This article puts them both head to head as well as other introductory models in this price range: 2015 Roundup: Interchangeable Lens Cameras $500-800

I have the a6000 and I love it. But for me, portability is a big issue. I needed a camera that I can take everywhere. If a larger camera doesn't bother you, the Nikon d3300 is a great pick. Best thing to do is go to a camera store and test them both out. Chances are, one will feel much more natural in your hands than the other.

D3300 as other said here should give you about same overall image quality as both using Sony sensor.
Also as mentioned the auto focus on the D3300 will give you better results when tracking moving subjects.
Third advantage for the Nikon is the huge array of lenses that will cover your needs in different price ranges.

Another camera line that has a huge array of lenses to choose from is Pentax.
Back in the mid-80's when auto focus was the hot new thing, Nikon and Pentax were the only 2 SLR makers that did not redesign their lens mount to accommodate AF.
Those SLR makers that did redesign their lens mount obsoleted previous cameras and lenses in their line.

Give the Pentax KS-2 a long look.
• you can get it body only
• Wi-Fi and NFC communication
• weather-sealing
• pentaprism (not pentamirror) 100% viewfinder
• built-in intervalometer.
• native max ISO of 51,200
• image stabilization in the camera, not in the lens.
• no optical low pass filter (Anti-Aliasing) filter
• fully articulating 3" rear LCD
• 1/6000 shutter
• 2 scroll wheels
• DNG Raw file type option

Let me offer a few thoughts on this: I take no position on the camera model/body. But when you say you want to shoot architecture, you mean "interiors" (say...for real estate) than there are a couple of things you will definitely need that should be factored in to your purchase:
--a tripod. Doesn't need to be carry-on bag sized, able to withstand gale-force winds, a tillable center column for shooting food or macro subjects. But it needs to be solid on carpet.
--a wireless shutter release option.
--Photomatix Pro software (so you can shoot HDR which will be essential for good real estate interiors...don't worry, the software is a breeze to use.)
--a wide angle lens (something like a 18mm) that is not likely to be a kit lens that would come with your camera.

Now, if by architecture, you meant "the exterior of really cool buildings" than you can forget this post...the wide angle and tripod will be handy but not essential for a lot of this photography. But if you're talking about shooting interiors for an MLS listing, if you don't have the items I mentioned, you aren't going to be able to do a competent job at this.

You'll probably also want a couple flash units. I have a Yonogo external flash that I can use off camera, it was only 70 bucks or something. Having a few of these set up to evenly light a scene would be great for interior photography, I would guess.

As other's have mentioned, the body you buy really isn't that important. The lense is the most important thing, especially since you are looking to accomplish a specific goal. Buy the cheapest body you can stand, and the most expensive lense you can afford...

It would be for exterior focusing on symmetry.

As already said, lenses usually more important than cameras. Both options good, as would the pentax being suggested. Most modern interchageable lens cameras are great

Well while I have a thread already then how about lens suggestions. I think I've settled on the A6000, as I found one at a good deal.

Get the kit lens with it. They normally work out cheap when bought this way. Use it for a while. You may find its all you need, but if you need others, you will know why you need others and better advise can be given then.

Solid advice. Thanks for your help Jaomul.

Most reactions

Back