Help deciding on a new Canon Camera

lucyred62

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I am new to this site, but it seems like there are a lot of knowledgible people on this site. I am looking to purchase Either a Canon t3i with the 18-135 lens, or the Canon 60D with the same lens. At BJ's I can get the 60D in a kit with case and memory card as well, and with the T3i, it would be the camera and lens only. With everything equal, the difference in price would be about $100-125 dollar difference. MY partner has a canon t2i, so that is why I want to stick with Canon so we can learn photography together, and exchange lens etc. I am interested in shooting various things, but mostly action shots of my dogs, and landscape shots. Any advice would be helpful. I did a search on the site, and could not find any comparisons of the two cameras. I know the shutter speed is better on the 60D, but don't know if it is a deal breaker.
Thanks in advance-

Hi,
I am new to this site, but it seems like there are a lot of knowledgible people on this site. I am looking to purchase Either a Canon t3i with the 18-135 lens, or the Canon 60D with the same lens. At BJ's I can get the 60D in a kit with case and memory card as well, and with the T3i, it would be the camera and lens only. With everything equal, the difference in price would be about $100-125 dollar difference. MY partner has a canon t2i, so that is why I want to stick with Canon so we can learn photography together, and exchange lens etc. I am interested in shooting various things, but mostly action shots of my dogs, and landscape shots. Any advice would be helpful. I did a search on the site, and could not find any comparisons of the two cameras. I know the shutter speed is better on the 60D, but don't know if it is a deal breaker.
Thanks in advance-

The shutter speed is only 1 stop greater on the 60D vs the T3i. Personally, I'd suggest the 60D as it will give you more to grow into.

You need to handle the 60D and see how it feels compared with the T2i/T3i. It is noticeably bigger and heavier, which some people like and some dislike. The controls on the 60D are more flexible and possibly better for shooting action (never used the camera myself). Only you can decide whether it is worth the extra money. In terms of growing into it, the 7D is considered the best body for sports/action photography due mostly to its advanced autofocus system, so you could just as easily find yourself outgrowing the 60D if that becomes important to you. I've always felt that spending less initially is a good idea because if you pursue photography seriously you likely would want a second body at some point, so you'll be buying another one anyhow, and then you'll really know what you need. A T3i would at the least be a great second body. There is really no difference in the sensors or image quality in all of the Canon crop-sensor bodies.

Hi, Thanks for the responses. I did try out both, and actually liked the feel of the 60D better(it was easier to grip), but it was heavier, and I am concerned over time that with the lens on(neither had a lens attached at the store), it may start to get to be too heavy. That is where my frustration in deciding on which camera to comes in. I like the layout of the 60D, but it is heavier and bigger then the t3i. I just wanted to see if experts felt that the 60D would offer a lot more then the t3i as far as usable features for what I want to use it for, based on the difference of $100-125 dollars worth. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks for the responses. I did try out both, and actually liked the feel of the 60D better(it was easier to grip), but it was heavier, and I am concerned over time that with the lens on(neither had a lens attached at the store), it may start to get to be too heavy. That is where my frustration in deciding on which camera to comes in. I like the layout of the 60D, but it is heavier and bigger then the t3i. I just wanted to see if experts felt that the 60D would offer a lot more then the t3i as far as usable features for what I want to use it for, based on the difference of $100-125 dollars worth. Thanks

I was at BJ's today (just to try out the camera - 60D)! I like the feel of the 60D as well, the rebel is too small (although I have small hands).

You need to handle the 60D and see how it feels compared with the T2i/T3i. It is noticeably bigger and heavier, which some people like and some dislike. The controls on the 60D are more flexible and possibly better for shooting action (never used the camera myself). Only you can decide whether it is worth the extra money. In terms of growing into it, the 7D is considered the best body for sports/action photography due mostly to its advanced autofocus system, so you could just as easily find yourself outgrowing the 60D if that becomes important to you. I've always felt that spending less initially is a good idea because if you pursue photography seriously you likely would want a second body at some point, so you'll be buying another one anyhow, and then you'll really know what you need. A T3i would at the least be a great second body. There is really no difference in the sensors or image quality in all of the Canon crop-sensor bodies.

The 60D (from my experience) is just NOT a camera built for action photos. I mean, it can do alright, but even with Canon USM L telephotos it has a hard time keeping up.

Maybe I'm just spoiled from using the older 1D Mark II autofocus, but if a person is looking to get seriously invested in sports photography I would have to agree that the 7D is the way to go. I wouldn't even consider the 60D if I was serious about getting into sports photography.

HOWEVER; if you will be using the video feature a lot, I would go with either a 5D or a 60D. The 7D and Rebels use AGC (auto gain control) on their audio, so you will hear a lot of hissing in situations where there isn't a lot of noise. With Rebels, you can install firmware hacks I believe that disable it, but I don't think there is a hack for the 7D (even though there are tedious ways around it).

If I was just starting with Canon I would go with the G12... many may not feel the same but it is a fun little camera, easy to get up and running, don't have to dig around too much in a camera bag, goes unobserved, but can do oh so much... $Glacier-Peak.jpg

The 60D (from my experience) is just NOT a camera built for action photos. I mean, it can do alright, but even with Canon USM L telephotos it has a hard time keeping up.

Maybe I'm just spoiled from using the older 1D Mark II autofocus, but if a person is looking to get seriously invested in sports photography I would have to agree that the 7D is the way to go. I wouldn't even consider the 60D if I was serious about getting into sports photography.

HOWEVER; if you will be using the video feature a lot, I would go with either a 5D or a 60D. The 7D and Rebels use AGC (auto gain control) on their audio, so you will hear a lot of hissing in situations where there isn't a lot of noise. With Rebels, you can install firmware hacks I believe that disable it, but I don't think there is a hack for the 7D (even though there are tedious ways around it).

After watching reading a bit and watching a few videos on the custom firmware (it is called Magiclantern, or Magic Lantern), you can definitely turn off the AGC in the menus and it does make a difference from the video I watched

If the difference is just ~ $100 I would get 60D without a second thought. The spare case would help but not in our studio. Here's a quick comparison between the two: Canon 60D vs. Canon T3i/600D A Close Matchup
Thanks, this comparison was helpful. I am leaning toward the 60D, especially since I will be using the camera mostly for pictures, and not video. I guess I am still hesitating, as most people are suggesting getting the 7D. I have to do more research, but I know it is a lot more money, and since I am just starting to learn, I don't know if a camera like this would be "wasted" on someone like me who is just learning. Also, do people have any suggestions on a lens that would be good for action shots, and nature shots- ie. shooting birds and wildlife, as well as landscape shots? thanks

I had the same problem when I first started photography. I had to choose between the 60D and 7D, it was a relatively easy decision though... I had a guy show me how cameras work and how the inner working function. I did some research on both and came to a conclusion to got the 7D even if it mean't spending a couple hundred dollars more. In fact, it was one of the best decisions I made since it could do everything the 60D could do. Now you ask why I choose the 7D over the 60D? Well let's start with the 19-point auto focusing system versus the 9 point auto focusing system of the 60D. I absolutely love it and I cannot see myself using a 9 point auto focusing system for sports or for portraits, plus the 7D's auto focusing system is one of the most advanced in crop body cameras. Let me tell you this as well, the shutter speed shoots at 8FPS which is really awesome for shooting sports, it's fast! Especially paired with an L lens. In addition, the 7D body is more weather and dust sealed then the 60D, so going out in the snow or rain isn't very much a problem. It's a tad bigger I find in the hand as well! Get the 7D, you will not regret it!

On a side note ~ If you really want to spend money the canon 5D mark iii is the way to go! :D

^^^^^ditto. Mainly why I bought the 7D as well, and I love it. Got the grip as well which makes it bigger but it holds nice.

I guess I am still hesitating, as most people are suggesting getting the 7D. I have to do more research, but I know it is a lot more money, and since I am just starting to learn, I don't know if a camera like this would be "wasted" on someone like me who is just learning.
If you plan to apply yourself and get serious about learning the mechanics of photography, it won't be wasted. If, however, you lose interest and it sits on the top shelf of your closet for 51 out of 52 weeks a year, or for snapshots on occasion, then, yes, it will be a waste and you should go for the least expensive set up.
Also, do people have any suggestions on a lens that would be good for action shots, and nature shots- ie. shooting birds and wildlife, as well as landscape shots? thanks
action, nature and landscape all require different lenses. There is no single lens to cover all that ground. You can also expect a "sports lens" to cost more than your camera, ditto a birding lens. For landscape, you're looking at a wide angle lens.

If I was just starting with Canon I would go with the G12... many may not feel the same but it is a fun little camera, easy to get up and running, don't have to dig around too much in a camera bag, goes unobserved, but can do oh so much...View attachment 4483

Wow... That's a one amazing shot... And it's from a G12? My goodness. I also saw from another forum some amazing shots taken with T2i and a kit lens. I think 7D can be quite overwhelming for a DSLR noob and could be a detractor that end up sitting in a closet as someone mentioned here. Lots of POTN 7D users blame users for not studying up on 7D's advanced focusing system. 60D I think is a great middle ground where beginner can get a longer mileage with its 9 cross type focusing points, higher frame rate, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back