Help deciding. Trade sigma 70-200 for Tamron 150-600

Tyguy35

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I am in a bit of a debate here. I own the sigma 70-200. It is a great lens but doesn't have the length I am looking for. Unfortunately I cannot afford something longer without a trade or if I am to sell it to someone. That mean teleconverter a are not an option because I can't afford it. I am leaving for Costa Rica in about a month, third time and I really want to do it right. Will be bringing my 20mm 60mm 105mm and 70-200 unless I sell it to get the 150-600 for the length. I will be shooting crocs and birds. Last year with the 70-200 I just could not get close enough and it was frustrating.

Am I making a mistake selling the 70-200 for the 150-600? My aunt will be the person buying it off me so it will be in the family still.

Any thoughts would be awesome. Thanks.

Tyler

Depends on you and your shooting style. Which will you honestly be shooting most if you had the two? If it is the 70-200 then why not rent a lens for the trip and keep the 70-200. If it is the 150 - 600 then go for it. Personally the 70-200 is to me a better lens quality wise and I personally could not see myself with out one.

Well if I'm shooting reptiles I usually get real close. But last year with some skittish ones I couldn't get close enough even with the 70-200. Unfortunately I used my credit up to book this trip and can't rent with some credit.

If you like shooting birds I would probably go for the 150-600. Maybe you and your Aunt can switch back and forth in the future???

Ya that's what I was thinking. How is the sharpness on the 150-600? I have seen mixed reviews. I also shoot crocs and venomous snakes.

Tyler

I've been around these animals my entire life. Incuding work with them. I am not to worried about them.

tumblr_ly2p91ZhEF1r79nqko1_500.jpg

Any questions?

These are more of the type of thing I work with at a local zoo. This and monitors. Take. With the 20mm
image.jpeg

Ya that's what I was thinking. How is the sharpness on the 150-600? I have seen mixed reviews. I also shoot crocs and venomous snakes.

Tyler
For the love of Pete! Who cares about sharpness....get as far away from those creatures as your lens will allow! 600 for sure
Lol, you sound like someone that isn't familiar with these animals. :)

Do a search here on Tpf. Coastalconn has loads a Bird stuff done with that tamron. The shots are fab, sharpness should not really be a problem at f8

I agree with the others, for birds you're going to want a Sigma/Tamron 150-600 or maybe look for an older 100-400 or 400 prime

I am leaving for Costa Rica in about a month, third time and I really want to do it right.

How long are you going? Renting a lens is an option.

I personally wouldn't want to be lugging around a 150-600 around the jungle, and it's not going to perform well in poor lighting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back