Help deciding. Trade sigma 70-200 for Tamron 150-600

There are a surprising amount of ways to put people On defense on the Internet; apparently joking about staying far away from dangerous animals can be added to the list.

I tried going the make a list route, eventually I got down to line item 3,438 of things that seem to offend people on the internet.

I finally just said the heck with it, wiped out the whole list and replaced it with "anything I say". As a general rule it seems to be working out really well .. lol

Last edited:
Convince your aunt to buy the 150-600 and then borrow it from her... :D

There are a surprising amount of ways to put people On defense on the Internet; apparently joking about staying far away from dangerous animals can be added to the list.

I tried going the make a list route, eventually I got down to line item 3,438 of things that seem to offend people on the internet.

I finally just said the heck with it, wiped out the whole list and replaced it with "anything I say". As a general rule it seems to be working out really well .. lol
New Tricks.jpg

:biggrin-new:

Sounds like a good deal, sell the 70-200 to you aunt and pick up the 150-600mm. Costa Rica does seem to have a love affair with venomous snakes, at least that was the impression I took away from the snake exhibit at the kids museum in San Jose.
I've used 300mm for birds and it often falls short so that 150-600mm sounds like it would be worthwhile. I hope you have use for it other than just this one trip.

If birds are anywhere in the equation, 150-600. I have plenty of pics using it for birdography. Recently, I have reverted back to using a 300f4; loving the quality, but the focal length is driving me crazy. It's almost two different genres of photography when comparing 300mm vs. 600mm. 70-200 will get you landscape shots with tiny birds in the frame (unless your stalking skills are ninja like). If you haven't carried around a 150-600, well....you will have to get used to the weight. It can be done, I do it and I'm old.

Sounds like a good deal, sell the 70-200 to you aunt and pick up the 150-600mm. Costa Rica does seem to have a love affair with venomous snakes, at least that was the impression I took away from the snake exhibit at the kids museum in San Jose.
I've used 300mm for birds and it often falls short so that 150-600mm sounds like it would be worthwhile. I hope you have use for it other than just this one trip.
Top 10 Deadliest Animals in Costa Rica
Oh I don't know, #1, 2, & 3 on the list sound pretty menacing. The rest except #10 don't sound that exciting to "play" with either. Of course #10 is a world wide danger. :biggrin-93:

I have a 80-200/2.8
and a Tamron 150-600.

Both different beasts for different things.
I also had a 300/4 which in itself was totally different.

If the animals are further away you can't beat the 150-600. But if in low light etc you may have issues on how you want to compensate for low light. But it's a great lens non-the-less. A tad large and heavy to be hiking with it though. I have a softcase for mine and I recommend one if you plan on hiking (or a hard case would be better but add more weight).

The 300mm f4 and 400mm f5.6 Canon primes are an excellent option in my opinion. If you don't mind getting close then there's no need to shoot at 600mm.

I'm forsure not on defence I was just showing you guys the animals I shoot. That 20mm I was less then 2 inches away which was way to close for that gaboon. I do know majority of my reptiles. As for lugging around I don't mind some extra weight. Served 5 years in the army, constantly lugged around heavy crap. I'm going to be gone for a month so rental will be to much money. I think I maybe talking to my aunt tonight. The long lens will be for the crocs as I came way to close last year and upset some massive beasts lol and toucans and other birds that don't allow me to close for a decent photo. Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Ya that's what I was thinking. How is the sharpness on the 150-600? I have seen mixed reviews. I also shoot crocs and venomous snakes.

Tyler
For the love of Pete! Who cares about sharpness....get as far away from those creatures as your lens will allow! 600 for sure
Lol, you sound like someone that isn't familiar with these animals. :)

I don't understand. What makes me unfamiliar?

I'm forsure not on defence I was just showing you guys the animals I shoot. That 20mm I was less then 2 inches away which was way to close for that gaboon. I do know majority of my reptiles. As for lugging around I don't mind some extra weight. Served 5 years in the army, constantly lugged around heavy crap. I'm going to be gone for a month so rental will be to much money. I think I maybe talking to my aunt tonight. The long lens will be for the crocs as I came way to close last year and upset some massive beasts lol and toucans and other birds that don't allow me to close for a decent photo. Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Thank you for your service! I agree, those Caimans are way too bold sometimes. I have been to Costa Rica several times. I like to stay in a tiny town on the Pacific Coast. Enjoy your trip!

I'm staying in the rara Avis and maquenque eco lodge this time. Deep in the jungle, no power in the Avis. Ending in Puerto viejo. Been up and down the pacific side never the Caribbean, excited for something new. And thank you very much. The one place I stay at they have American crocs in the lagoon. One walked up onto my cabinas lawn last year 5 ft from the cabina.

I got the Sigma 150-600 s and I don't know if it's the same as the Tamron lens, (same manufacturer under different brand names) but if it is, it's a very decent lens.

What about battery life on camera? My Sigma stabilization system sucks the battery down quick, not sure about Tamron.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I find this to be offensive. ;)

:D :D

Most reactions

Back