HELP, first time Wedding Photo Shoots

8-10Mp is nothing really. The 30D is an easier camera to use than the XTi. THe XTi has functions located in menus and the 30D can change things by pressing one button and rotating a dial. the 30D is built better and feels more robust in use. It's a close choice between the two and I suspect by the time the weddings come around there will be a new kid on the block..... 40D or something similar.....

I totally agree on this one, I just recently upgraded my camera from an XT to a 30D. The 30D is much easier and faster in changing camera settings. I had a customer who also got the XTi, bigger screen, but missing the thumb wheel.

You are satisfied with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8? Not too soft? I just worry about consistancy with Tamron lenses (same model, different build quality between purchases)... however would consider this a big option since I have a 100mm canon lens to cover the longer end. Hows the background blur on that lens? Hmm hmm hmmmm... Another option!

I am very happy with my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. It's not too soft, great in low light conditions. It's half the price of a similar Canon lens, that's the only reason why I bought it. I would love to have the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens but I am on a thight budget here.

Like Garbz said it really depends on how you work, I like to work up close, it doesn't bother most of my clients, so the Tamron 17-50mm lens is good enough for me. If the lighting is not too bad, I just switch to my Canon 28-135mm IS lens. Not a very fast lens but it works on most situations.

Ddooohhhhhh.....yeah i know....you know what i mean! :blushing:

I know you know :)

As you mentioned above it's down to how you shoot. In a wedding I believe a f/l like 17-50 is just too short - especially for close ups of exchange of ring and capturing the real emotion. Sure you can do a posed shot after the ceremony but you lose that real emotion.

I love the 70-200. You can also be a little more remote to stay out of the way and capture those wonderful candid moments.

interesting thread indeed.

I fully agree with dewey's posts and suggestions, but like he said, if this is in 2008 you should have enough time to learn what you need to know.

as far as equipment goes:

the 30d is definitely a better wedding camera than the XTi. not only does it have spot metering, a more robust body, and better ergonomics, but it also has a faster fps speed (which can be important) and a better AF (verrry important). I would definitely recommend it.

secondly, the lenses you use can depend on how you shoot a wedding...but generally speaking, the following lense ranges are the best for shooting weddings:

fast wide zoom: 17-50 2.8 tamron is a great choice
ultra-fast medium prime (s): 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 from canon would be great (the 50 1.8 is sharp and all, but you'll want fast AF)
fast long zoom: 70-200 2.8 (the sigma you mentioned would work)

and no, the 70-200 would NOT be overkill...in fact it's practically the workhorse for weddings it's such a perfect range.

you'll also need at least one flash. I'd recommend the 580ex and the 430ex if you're on a budget, two 580ex's if money's not really an issue. if money is ultra tight and you can only get one, get the 580.

The Rebel XT is the bottom, XTi is quite a step up with 10+ megapixels (yeah, I know megapixels doesnt make the camera - but its canon optics...). I would like the 30D, but I think... why? If it was full frame, heck yeah... but the only advantage I can see is that it is a light bit faster... im probably missing something though. Its only 8+ megpxls. SO i dunno. More research to do here! EXIF data noted. Thanks!

Even though the Rebel XTi has more megapixels than the XT, it is still a smaller, lighter camera than the 10D/20D/30D class. I like the magnesium alloy body of the 30D. It feels SOLID, something you can really hold on to. Also, 8.2 megapixels in the 30D provides plenty of detail for 8x10, 10x13, 12x16, and even 16x20 prints if the focus is good enough. I have seen samples of beautiful crystal clear prints in 16x20 with just a 20D.

I will say though that the self-cleaning sensor in the XTi is a pretty sweet feature. But I am learning how to clean the sensor effectively myself on the 30D. The 30D is my starter camera, which also gives me plenty of room to grow. My next goal is to eventually get the ever popular 5D, and make the jump to full frame.

Sounds like your friends are just trying to save some money which is understandable. But like everyone else says, just practice and shadow another photographer to get the feel. Good luck in whatever happens!

Hi! I posted in a previous post a couple days ago Pricing of wedding photography question??ethical and just wanted to make you aware of some insight from a recent bride's perspective.

The wedding will go by fast (well mine did) and you have to be ready for any changes and a lot of people watching you work... as well as trying to photograph your setups and possibly getting in your way. You have to be aware of the time constraint that you are going to be under in order to get those shots done properly... and asking people to get out of your way is part of it. Be prepared to work under a bit of pressure.

I've never photographed a wedding but as I said, I was just married (March 10th). I think as long as you have made it clear that you are not a professional wedding photographer and that their images are not going to be like "Bill and Judy's down the street" ;) you might be okay and also if she's not an uptight bride.

Also - you really need to talk to the bride about what she wants - please her and it'll be ok. Be sure you're aware of any insecurities she may have about how she wants to be photographed.

On a side note, and just my opinion, if you're going to stand to make money on the prints (outside of deal with bride and groom)... offer to shoot the family's of the wedding party together (like say the bridesmaid with her husband, child boyfriend or whatever) - I'll guarantee they'll buy a print. May sound silly but my photographer asked me if there were any shots that I would like to have photographed and I asked him if he wouldn't mind photographing my bridesmaid with her family so they could have a photo of them later, considering all 3 of them were in the wedding (bridesmaid, vibist ((played wedding music)) and flowergirl). This picture is something the would have never done outside of the wedding and something that they will cherish forever. Remember that people outside of the bride and groom WILL buy prints, especially if their child or family member was in the wedding party. Most people are prepared to buy prints - so don't just cover costs. Just food for thought...

Sorry if I went a little long but I'm trying to think of anything I could suggest from a low maintenence-photographer-bride's perspective.

On that note, and from a techinical/creative aspect - I think it's great you're thinking of taking along your old standbys (such as IR)... I think the bride will value those photos moreso then she may realize once she gets back the 1000's of old standard "pose and shoot" and "smile for the camera with Aunt Betty" shots that she'll get back from various sources. :D

A bride wants her wedding to be special and unlike any other bride's wedding out there and to stand out (which a lot are alike). The photos are going to be the ONLY thing in the end that are going to represent that day. Sure there will be a video but a video doesn't sit out on your desk at work for your co-workers; nor does it sit in your living room on your mantle for your entire life and looked at almost everyday. So... really...no pressure :p

Best of luck...
~Demi

Great points Demi.

The 100mm Macro is not that long a lens! The 70-200 will be much more use.

You ask about background blur on a lens?? The Bokeh is a factor of 4 things. Focal Length, aperture selected, distance to subject and subject's distance to background. Most (if not all) f2.8 and faster lenses will be able to blur a background better than smaller aperture lenses but it's how you use the camera and position your subject to get great bokeh this that makes the difference.

Hey, for some reason my subscription never emailed me all of these reponses... but yes, background blur. I know about focal length, aperature (wider=narrower fl, smaller= greater fl), circle of confusion, etc. However, quality varies from one lens to the next. I can only describe the background blurr with my Canon 100mm macro lens as gewy eye candy that you dont want to stop looking at. THAT is what I am wondering about Tamron. I own a tamron zoom that is abslutely horrible. Background blurr is mudd. So, I wonder... another tamoron lens? I have heard that even within the same model and manufacturer that lens quality varies alot with Tamron. Thats why I will opt for the Sigma or even shovel out the extra dough for the canon EF 70-200 2.8 (w/o IS) because I am postive that the background blurr will be superbly juicy as well as an infocus subject.

Yeah, the 100mm is not that long... you are right!

thanks!

The 20-35 3.5-4.5 lens is slow for a wedding lens but as you are using outside it may be ok. How's the sharpness?

The 50mm f1.8 is the cheapest lens Canon make. Not a fab wedding lens but sharp and very fast - great for low light use. Any Canon user should have the nifty fifty in his bag - unless he has the 50f1.4 or the 50f1.2L :)

Yeah.. the 20-35 3.5 is slow... fast focus.. but slow. Sharpness... WELLLL, honestly it takes alot of work and patience to get it SHARP unless its B&W photog. Talking 3200 speed sharp. Really good for that but with slide film, VERY persnickity (sp?). Worked very well with my friends digital rebel XT (old version)... sooo...

Take what you have and find a wedding pro that will let you tag along. After you have seen what you need to be doing, find some one who will let you be a second shooter. In the mean time go here and get started on classic posing.

http://jzportraits.home.att.net/

Every thing starts from there (if you can't tell what you're doing wrong, you'll never know what exactly you are doing right)

Thanks! Sorry it took awhile to respond... I was not getting email notifications... much appreciated!

Ive been in the same position and if they are asking you to do such an important thing for them, relax and do it. Get on the web and familiarize yourself with at least 10 of the standard wedding poses. You know, Bride/Groom alone, B/G with B's family, then with G's family. Then Best Men alone, Bridesmaids alone, then all together. Then one of the whole wedding party.
Go early and take pictures of everything set up but before people arrive. Take lots of pictures of the wedding elements such as flowers, rings, veil, tux and tie, shoes, cake, presents, church altar, etc.
Some of the things I found that helped alot was to make sure you understand about preventing redeye. Even if you can eliminate it in post-developing its still a horror to see. Then make sure the rest of the shots are candid. For the most part just wander around and take pictures of guests, of couple holding hands, or holding babies.
During the ceremony make sure you get the exchange of rings and dont you dare miss the kiss!
Youre going to do fine!

You rock! Thanks!

Holy smacks... thats a grail of good info! thank you sooo much! I am inspired!

Thank you Daniel. I have my notebook out and handwriting this (the best way for me to have it in my mind and easily accesed). Greatly appreciated!

Most reactions

Back