Help for a beginner?

alex11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I have some laminated posters that I need to take a picture of and post online in the highest quality as possible. Once I get them uploaded I have to shrink them down to 350 x 250 pixels. I know absolutely nothing about photography. I have a Canon Powershot A590 IS,
Many problems thus far:
When I take the picture it comes out fairly dark, how do I get the shot to be brighter?
When I try to brighten it up by putting it under a light it gets a glare.
When I use flash it shows up on the gloss poster.
Please help guide me in the right direction.
Thanks

You're going to have the best luck using ambient, indirect lighting. I have little to no experience with flash so I'm not going to BS about that.

I'm assuming you don't have a tripod or anything? You can up the exposure time to allow the camera to take advantage of what light there is, but then the pic will be blurry because of your hand movement.

How to take pictures of reflective objects with a nikon D3000? - Yahoo! Answers
Tips for Taking Photographs of Reflective Objects

Maybe I helped a little?
:blushing:

Soft window light (not direct sunlight) is your best bet for even non-glare lighting. Put the poster in a spot where the window light covers it as evenly as possible. If the image is too dark, your camera has an exposure compensation setting, either a dial or a menu item. You would need to set it to a positive number to get a brighter image. I would try first at +1 and adjust from there. Be careful you are not overexposing the highlights - nothing in the image should look white and featureless. Your camera may be able to show you if there is an area like this, so check the manual or online to see.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back