help for new video camera

Spice Beans

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to buy a camera to film mainly interviews and fish rooms (needs to be good in low light.)

$650 budget

cant have a time limit on video time

Right now, the two best "video" buys I have seen are Panasonic G7 (around $500 US w/14-42 lens @B&H), and the A6000 (around $500 US w/16-50 lens @ B&H). These are very different, and you should read up some reviews. The A6000 will record Full HD but should have better low-light performance. It gives a smooth upgrade path to an A6500 and the rest of the Sony line if you think you will need to grow the system later. The G7 will give immediate 4K recording capability, but will probably not be as good in low light. It will provide an upgrade path through the Panasonic and also Olympus Micro 4:3 cameras.

I do NOT know about recording time limits. For either of these cameras they will be "long". Most likely they will be limited to a 4GB file length. The only time I worry about these limits are for cameras like a Panasonic GX850 which has a particularly short 4K recording limit (I think it was something like 4 - 6 min.) due to internal heat problems. Usually the reviews will mention unusually short recording time limits.

I am 99% sure all M4/3 and DSLR...etc. are going to have a 30min recording limit due to them not being classified as a video camera which helps to reduce import taxes and other costs. But that doesn't mean there is not work around, like firmware hacks and external recorders.

To find a video camera with the wants above at that price point is near impossible, but a M4/3 or DSLR with some research may be your best beat that way you can change to faster lenses.

. . .
To find a video camera with the wants above at that price point is near impossible, but a M4/3 or DSLR with some research may be your best beat that way you can change to faster lenses.

Overall, I have to disagree with that. I have some reservations about the "a6000" which was designed before "hybrid cameras" (still cameras with strong video capabilities) became a recognized market, but the Panasonic G7 is a highly regarded video platform for Full HD and for 4K. The only reservation I have for the G7 is the low light capability, and even there, it is only relatively "weak" when compared to the latest Sony A6500 and some of Sony's "full frame" cameras, and that can largely be corrected later by lens selection (using good primes on an "accelerator" adaptor).

Granted, the $500 price I posted above only leaves another $150 which would not be enough to cover a good quality accelerator + prime, but the interviews would be well covered for now. Actually, you could put the $150 towards a good mic. The G7 does have a mic port.

"A6300 VS G7 (gh4) - 4K Detail and Lowlight Comparison"
posted by "Max Yuryev", Mar 1, 2016
""

NOTE: The Sony a6300 is a high model than the a6000 and costs much more. As I wrote above, the a6000 does NOT record 4K. But at Full HD, as far as I can remember, the a6300 was not very different from the a6000 for low light. You should check some reviews about that, say, DPreview and Imaging Resources, but that was my impression.

"$447 vs $3500 - 5D Mark IV vs G7- 4K video compared!"
posted by "Max Yuryev", Nov 23, 2016.
""

This is just another look at the G7 in another comparison. It is a very good video camera even just for Full HD. But it is a particularly good buy for 4K at the current price.

To clarify the above cameras are not true "video" cameras they are still cameras with externally good video capabilities. I was a huge fan of the G4 when it came out, I have shot a ton of interviews/b-roll with my 5D3 too.

I would also highly recommend either camera above and would say go with 4K if you can you can create a virtual second angle or zoom(when watching at 1080). Get some fast glass like F2.8, start saving for a Speed Booster like Metabones.

Also like VidThreeNorth said make sure you buy a nice mic or external recorder like a Zoom H1/H4/iQ, bad audio will ruin an awesome video.

Most reactions

Back