HELP! Having weird problems with flash

Right, if you're using all Speedlights. Maybe I'm confused. She is using one SB600 and two Proline F-45 optical slaves which are triggered soley by the flash light, not a wireless signal?

Uhmmmm.....you're probably right. I was tripping on the SB's.

Well......... What's the story morning glory? Did you get it sorted? I'm sitting on pins and needles.

come on guys someone must have an idea.

kk has a shoot tomorrow.

First off, you need to tell us what kind of camera you are using. I assume a Nikon, but what model?

Second, you need to learn how to control those MANUALLY for best effect. The strobist site is the best for that.

Are you using CLS? You cannot if you are using peanut slaves in general or triggering off camera strobes. CLS gives you these "pre-flashes" that prematurely trigger the strobes and underexposing everything. Disable this!

I bet that the sync speed may not be set correct either. On most cameras, you should have it set to your sync speed (1/250th for my D200).

I am more than willing to help, but give me something to work with!

Yes, certainly with the SB600 & SB800.

Depends on the camera on if you can set them up and control them in groups. My D200 can control several groups seperately from in camera but ONLY if the strobes are SB-800 or SB-600s. You cannot control other flashes like that and are then forced to do it manually at each strobe source.

Ok, I just looked in Kanikula's profile and they have a D200 like me so that changes a few things.

As an option, you need to disable the CLS and I can walk you through the process. You also will need to set the strength of your strobes either manually or if they are either SB-800 or SB-600s differently based on HOW you trigger them.

Using CLS, the D200 can use the built-in on camera flash to trigger the SB-800 or SB-600 in either with or without CLS, but the flashes MUST be properly configured. Using peanut slaves it has to be all done manually. Using the Nikon Speedlights IR, you have choices.

You can also go 100% manual on the D200's on camera flash, the SB-600 and SB-800.
On my setup, I am 90% of the time completely manual and get best results that way... yes, even better than using CLS.

Kanikula, I have sent you a PM. I own the D200 and SB-800... let me know if I can help.
(though being half way around the world in North America, I do not know if this will reach you in time)

come on guys someone must have an idea.
kk has a shoot tomorrow.

Sorry I did not catch this thread earlier, jols... I know I could help if we have enough time. :mrgreen:

It is the pre flash from the SB-600 that is causing your problem, this will not go away by running it wireless from the camera, the best way to get around this is to use radio triggers, or use a sync cord to one of your strobes and put the SB-600 on an optical slave. (e-bay $12)

It is the pre flash from the SB-600 that is causing your problem, this will not go away by running it wireless from the camera, the best way to get around this is to use radio triggers, or use a sync cord to one of your strobes and put the SB-600 on an optical slave. (e-bay $12)

The preflash is the camera trying to use CLS (Nikon's Creative Lighting System) to set exposure light intensity. This is EASY to turn off in camera, then the strobes will be triggered OPTICALLY correctly.

If the SB-800 or the on-camera flash from the Nikon D200 is used, the SB-600 will trigger properly either with or without CLS.

If any ONE of the flashes is a non-Nikon product with a built-in optical trigger or any one uses a peanut flash, then you can STILL use the built-in flash on the D-200 to trigger them. Set the on-camera flash to MANUAL and reduce it's output to 1/128th (so it doesn't overcome the side flashes or become a front fill flash... unless you want it to).

The whole thing is we do not know HOW the user wants to trigger them and all the equipment and setup. Once we know that I can type out a simple 1-2-3 procedure for them that will give them the EXACT results they need.

Once we know that... we can help, until then all we are doing is guessing.

Wow thanks so much for all the responses guys!

Right ok the details:

Camera: D200
Flash: DB600

Triggered in command mode: Settings
D200 - Manual.
Command mode
channel 3
setting --

Flash - Manual
Channel 3
1/4 comp

Now my other 2 lights are set off by the flash.

Im tryig to blow out my backgroud and then use the sb600 for fill from the left..

Problem - Image is underexposed despite all lights firing... However if i put my hand over the d200 flash, then the results are how they should be!

It seems i cant trigger my SB600 out of commander mode?

Hope this clarifies some things! Im realy new to light sets ups so excuse me for being a bit dim!

Really appriciate you helping me out guys!

Ok, so the Nikon can fire the SB600 without an external transmitter. The Canon needs a transmitter or a second hi end flash.

So you're firing it wireless in Manual mode at 1/4 power.

I think you might need the experts here to help you. sorry.

With the CLS (wireless control)....
You cannot use CLS, the only lights that will flash on time are the on camera flash and the SB-600/800. Your other 2 strobes (that you mention but give no info on, so I therefore assume are NOT Nikon units), flash too EARLY and do not add to the picture..

I am going to assume that you want to use the D200's built-in flash to be the main trigger for everything and that the Sb-600 and SB-800's are off camera and that you have 2 other strobes that are non-Nikon units, also likely off camera. If I am off on those assumptions, let me know, I will adjust this post accordingly.

So... Try these settings for a start:

D200:
- Turn the camera on and touch the MENU button
- Go down to the PENCIL menu
- Select "E" Bracketing/ Flash
- Select BUILT-IN flash
- set it to MANUAL
- Select 1/128th power.

This will now eliminate Commander mode and all non-Nikon aware flashes will synch with the D200 (as will all strobes with built-in optical triggers AND all Nikon flashes set to SU-4 mode!).

Additional D200 settings:
- Set shutter speed to 1/250th.
- Set aperture based on needs

To match the settings on the SB-800:
- Press ON button to turn flash ON
- Press and hold down the SEL button for 3 seconds, this enters the configuration mode.
- Hit the RIGHT ARROW once to go into wireless control mode
- Press the SEL button once
- Press the down arrow 4 times highlighting the SU-4 mode option
- Press the SEL button once to select SU-4 mode
- Press the ON/OFF button once to get out of that selection mode
- Press the MODE button once
- Place strobe on a light stand either bare or with an umbrella or a softbox.
- You now set this flash strength by using the UP or DOWN arrows of the SB-800 (When the SB-800 is in SU-4 mode, you set it's strength MANUALLY at the flash in settings from anywhere between 1/1 (full power) to 1/128th of maximum output.

I don't have an SB-600, but I assume that to put it in SU-4 mode (full manual mode?), it is very similar to the SB-800. I assume that since you are an SB-600 owner and a professional with an upcoming shoot, you can manage this easily enough. Do it... set the SB-600 to full manual mode.

At this point... the D200 triggers your SB-800, your SB-600 and all your non-nikon aware strobes via it's own built-in on-camera flash and everything is in sync but becuase the D200's flash is set so low, it doesn't act like a fill flash at all (you can obviously change this <wink, wink>).

I am assuming you are now EASILY blowing everything out due to excessive light... lol Your last step is to set the strength of each strobe to your needs.

Last note: If you do NOT have the D200's flash popped up... NOTHING will go off. Also make sure not to wear a hat that touches the flash or presses on it even a little... the flashes will NOT fire.

EDIT: Extra info.
If all you are doing is using a D200, SB-800 and SB-600 and want to use CLS, you will have to place the SB-800 on the camera as I *think* the SB-600 will not trigger unless the SB-800 is the commander, and attached directly to the hotshoe of the D200. Of course, no non-Nikon strobes will fire in synch in this scenario.

EDIT: Extra info... again (lol):
To reset the SB-800 back to TTL/BL mode, simutaneously press and hold down the MODE and ON/OFF buttons together at the same time for 3 seconds.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Wow thanks so much for all the responses guys!

It seems i cant trigger my SB600 out of commander mode?

Thinking this all over and over through my head. My lack of knowledge is based on zero experience on the SB-600. I think that I read somewhere that if using CLS, you need a SB-800 or another Nikon specific trigger to set off the SB-600 becuase the onboard D200 flash doesn't trigger SB-600's? I am just so not sure... sorry.

As a worst case scenario, slap a PC sync cable into the SB-600 that is off camera and attach a peanut optical trigger (ten bucks?), and you are gold.

Let us know how it all works out for you and don't forget to post a few pics, if you can!

Most reactions

Back