HELP! Having weird problems with flash

Kanikula

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so i bought myself some strobes and they are triggered by my on camera flash. Iv also just had to replace my hotshoe flash today with the Nikon SB600. Now iv got my two strobe lights on my backdrop,abd my hotshoe flash mounted oln the tripod for fill. Using command mode (with either TTL/Manual - tried both) im trying to shoot my picture.

Now we run into my problem. I have to have my on cam flash on to trigger the SB600 - all well and good, now my shots are coming out underexposed??? Right then, IF i put my had just to the right of my on cam flash -say like a bounce card, or even over it, they are comingo ut how they are supposed too:confused: Its not the sensor as ive tried covering it to see if it was that. Its not!!??? I hve also set mt flash too _ _ in comander mode as this is supposed to stop the on cam from flashing - it still does!

HT made some sense!! I have a portrait shoot this weekend and really need to sort it out!!

Thanks
Samx

PS would the fact that i have my lounge main light on interfer?? Its not bright and high in the center of the room, directly above where im shooting? - scrub that - its not the lights....

come on guys someone must have an idea.

kk has a shoot tomorrow.

I use canon speedlights, but they must be similar. The canons put out a preflash which casue problems triggering strobes. Does the SB600 have this? THe preflash is used to meter the scene and send the settings from the master to slave.

Maybe you have your Sb600 in the wrong mode. Try using manual mode?

I use canon speedlights, but they must be similar. The canons put out a preflash which casue problems triggering strobes. Does the SB600 have this? THe preflash is used to meter the scene and send the settings from the master to slave.

Maybe you have your Sb600 in the wrong mode. Try using manual mode?

The camera flash puts out the preflash - i cant turn it off :( - everything is triggering - thats the thing! Its like the cam is automatically underexposing..........

Brand & model?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Proline F-45 :wink:[/FONT]

The on board will flash to trigger the SB600, but does not add to the scene when set to (--). I've had much more success and consistency with my strobes set to Manual rather than TTL. I just monkey around with power output to get what I want. Sorry, but I can't offer any suggestion for having your hand out by the on board flash. Some setting must be off.

[EDIT: The preflash won't add to the scene unless you are very close and/or if your're shooting a reflective surface]

How were you doing this in our other posts? You had the high key down pretty well. What flash were you using on your camera for these?

You shouldn't have pre-flash in manual mode

The on board will flash to trigger the SB600, but does not add to the scene when set to (--). I've had much more success and consistency with my strobes set to Manual rather than TTL. I just monkey around with power output to get what I want. Sorry, but I can't offer any suggestion for having your hand out by the on board flash. Some setting must be off.

[EDIT: The preflash won't add to the scene unless you are very close and if your're shooting a reflective surface]

Yup thats what im doing :( - Iv shot on both channel 1 and 3 each on manual and TTL, and also messed with the flash outputs - Its really weird and very ennoying :grumpy:

How were you doing this in our other posts? You had the high key down pretty well. What flash were you using on your camera for these?

Thanks TC - I was using the same set pretty much. The ony difference is my hotshoe flash - Had a jessops own, which was triggered from the flash of the cam or my lights. Its broken on me again (4th time in 4 months) so decided to go with the SB600..

I've read that the preflash is terrible to work with when using optical slaves.

I'm pretty sure Pre-Flash is dissabled in manual tho.

Keep the camera and strobe on channel 3 and make sure you have the strobe set with the correct group. So, if you have the strobe set on Group A, the camera should be set to Group A - Mode to M and Comp. to desired output.

Keep the camera and strobe on channel 3 and make sure you have the strobe set with the correct group. So, if you have the strobe set on Group A, the camera should be set to Group A - Mode to M and Comp. to desired output.

I didn't think you could do this with optical slaves. You can configure them in groups?

Yes, certainly with the SB600 & SB800.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back