Help in picking a camera please

Lupinus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy folks, I'm looking to break into this and hoping tall can help a complete newb decide on a camera.

In looking around and doing some research I believe I've got it down to the D3300 and D5300. But from there I can't really tell with my goals if a step up to the 5300 is really needed.

I'm looking from an amateur hobbyist standpoint, with primary usage being at parks and outdoors. Plants, ducks at the pond, animals at the zoo, family gatherings, pictures at events, etc. Video is also appealing to me as I've been Tossing around blogging and some basic videos for YouTube. Nothing to crazy though. Still shots of subject matter as well if I do follow through with the blogging.

So for what is, I'm thinking, not to terribly high needs is it worth the extra cash for the 5300? Or will the 3300 do just fine and be better off saving the cash for lenses and such later?

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.

B&H has a great deal--$647 for the body, two lenses, and a wireless mobile adapter. Also pick up a few memory cards and a tripod. And a backpack or sling.

I think Best Buy has something similar (at least online), but I don't like Best Buy. Last time I was there poking around, (1) they wouldn't turn on the camera I wanted to see and (2) the guy/kid laughed in my face because he thought I was making up RAW format. I haven't stepped foot in Best Buy since then.

D3300 will be good for you but I would recommend if you have the cash to go for the D5300 mainly for the better AF system and swivel screen.

See how much you can save by buying a d5200. Put the extra saved on a good lens or flash unit. Just a thought

IMHO the D5200 is both cheaper and better than the D3300. So I would compare the D5200 vs the D5300 instead. I dont know about video though, havent checked that out.

Been a bit but just wanted to say thanks folks!

I ended up deciding on the 5300. Then I went to the store, and as is so often the case the game plan changed and I came home with a 5500 as it was on sale and not much more than the 5300. It came with the 18-55 kit lens. I also brought home a 55-200 vr ii lens, as it was 50% off if bought at the same time as a camera. So I figured I'd jump on it.

Been a bit but just wanted to say thanks folks!

I ended up deciding on the 5300. Then I went to the store, and as is so often the case the game plan changed and I came home with a 5500 as it was on sale and not much more than the 5300. It came with the 18-55 kit lens. I also brought home a 55-200 vr ii lens, as it was 50% off if bought at the same time as a camera. So I figured I'd jump on it.
Congrats on buying an awesome camera! :)

Congrats on the new D5500. Looks like an excellent camera. Looks like it has the "flat" picture control for video. What I really like is they say the grip is better than the D7200.
My brother still uses his D5100 and I think the d5xxx series remains a good option.

Most reactions

Back