Help! Looking into new camera for "party" type photo job...

InevitableDoom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am an artistic-type person, but fairly new to the realm of photography. I have a Kodak DX7590 that has served me very well and taken beautiful pictures in the great outdoors for the last couple of years, but I've recently acquired a job that requires most of my picture-taking to occur indoors. The DX7590 is auto-focus only, and I think one of the greater flaws I've encountered with it is its near complete inability to focus in low or indoor lighting, even with updated firmware.

As a result, several of the pictures I took last time were just out of focus enough to be frustrating, and I've decided to look into buying another camera to supplement this one. My dilemma is this: Do I go ahead and buy another $400-up camera like the DX and hope it functions better in low lighting (despite many reviews indicating the contrary) -- or do I buy a camera advertised as a party-type camera that's a little cheaper, but possibly better equipped to handle poor lighting and people moving all around? I have money to burn, but am limited in my knowledge of the technical aspect.

Any advice would be appreciated, with camera model suggestions in particular very appreciated.

Most people here will tell you to go with a DSLR.

Canon Rebel XT Body = $379 new, shipped, from buydig.com

then, get a couple fast primes to go along with it.

Canon 50mm f/1.8 II - $89 from B&H (see link at to-right)
Canon 35mm f/2 - $229 from B&H
Canon 85mm f/1.8 - $339 from B&H

With low-light conditions, you'll want to invest in good, low light glass. Primes are an excellent way to go.

If you have money to burn and want quality images, have a look at the Nikon D300. If you know anything about low light shooting, two factors are a fast lens and high ISO. Most dSLR's will suffer much past 800 ISO. The D300 (a prosumer camera) is extremely capable at ISO 1600 to 3200 ISO. Here is an image at 6400 ISO with the D300. Unless you really want to pay $5K USD for a camera, I don't think you will find another in it's price range with this capablity. Surely a Canon user will chirp in to defame the D300's capabilities, but have a search on the results.

I have one and don't have a second thought about setting my ISO to 1600 without fear of noise.

You will certainly want to have a fast lens as well. Minimum f/1.8 on primes and f/2.8 for zooms. But if you have money to burn.........

Sorry, I had a second thought about what you are after. I don't know the camera you already have. But to be certain, the D300, while not an extremely large camera, don't even think that you will be able to slip it into your pocket while at the party.

Thank you for the suggestions -- I'm heading to give them a more detailed look right now. As for size, though -- definitely not an issue. I'm actually a bit worried that a smaller camera will look less professional anyhow!

Most reactions

Back