Help me choose my next camera

Floors_McGinty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for help choosing my next camera. My budget is going to be right at 2000 USD. I'm using my tax return so I've still got a couple months to make a decision and I wanted to get some input.

I currently own a Canon t4i that I bought in early 2013. I really like the camera, but recently I've felt like it's been holding me back a bit. I'm wanting to get more into astrophotography and landscapes, but the low light performance of the t4i is making this difficult. I also shoot video on occasion and usually end up taking pictures and video at family functions. I want to become a better photographer all around so I want something that will be good in all situations, but good low light performance is a must.

As of right now the frontrunner is a Canon 6d. I really like some aspects of the 6d mk II, especially the articulating screen and higher megapixel count, but I don't know if it's enough to justify the extra $600 or so and I've heard negative things about the dynamic range, although some say it's a non-issue.

Currently I own a Canon 18-135mm ef-s, canon 50mm f/1.8, and a rokinon 14mm f/2.8, so only the 50mm and 14mm would work with the 6d. I figured for the difference in price between the standard and mark II I could buy a decent lens, maybe something along the lines of the 24-105 f/4 L. I like the idea of keeping the t4i as a second camera if I were to need it.

I know that for low light a Sony a7s would be a better choice, but that would require an investment in lenses or an adapter, and I'm not sure if the 12 megapixels would be enough if I ever decided to make prints. I've also read a couple stories about corrosion being caused by high humidity or sweat on the Sony cameras, but I don't know if this is a legitimate concern or not.

I'm sure there are options that I'm not considering so any suggestions or opinions would be very helpful.

Great first post here. We've had a lot of "first camera" posts as of late.

Go with the 6d, try buy second hand from someone who has taken care of their camera

Most reactions

Back