Help me decide on a service plan for my new Sony NEX

Dune_heli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm going to buy a NEX-5N off Amazon.

Are all service plans created equal?

My first instinct is to go with Sony's official 3-year plan at $120. Has anyone used Squaretrade, Canopy, or other services available for new cameras? One factor that might make me choose one plan over the other is how fast they get your camera back to you. Another perk is whether the plan is transferrable if sold.

I am also going to tell my bank about the purchase - they have a valuable property insurance along with my homeowner's insurance. But buying a $120 safety net is well worth it for the peace of mind....IF they provide a good service.

Thanks,
Josh

Dune_heli said:
I'm going to buy a NEX-5N off Amazon.

Are all service plans created equal?

My first instinct is to go with Sony's official 3-year plan at $120. Has anyone used Squaretrade, Canopy, or other services available for new cameras? One factor that might make me choose one plan over the other is how fast they get your camera back to you. Another perk is whether the plan is transferrable if sold.

I am also going to tell my bank about the purchase - they have a valuable property insurance along with my homeowner's insurance. But buying a $120 safety net is well worth it for the peace of mind....IF they provide a good service.

Thanks,
Josh

If they have accidental I would highly recommend it.

I went with Sony. Both Squaretrade and Sony have accidental, but Sony's advantages are:

-$30 cheaper off Amazon at the moment ($120 vs $150 Squaretrade)
-Will repair over and over, and here is the kicker: will replace with a comparable model if this one gets discontinued. I believe ST's coverage stops at the full original price; there was one review on amazon that said they repaired a phone, and valued a repair at some amount let's say $150. But then when they needed a second repair later, ST ended up not repairing and just sending them a check. The 2nd repair + cost of 1st repair = more than the cost of the camera, so they wouldn't do it. In this regard Sony's service plan is clearly better.

I believe both are transferable if the camera is sold, and both offer express shipping for repairs. I called Sony and the fastest way for me to get repair in dire circumstances would be to drop off at the fedex warehouse and pay for overnight out of pocket, which they give you the option of doing. Would get it back in about 7-10 days.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back