Help Me Improve My Stock Photography

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score

Ronin15 by Compressed Memories, on Flickr

I took this shot bouncing a flash off the ceiling, I don't have any monolights because I can't commit to buy anything lol. I have the money for a couple starter strobes, but I
am clueless as to what is really needed for something like this.

What can I do to improve pictures like this?

Last edited:
I dunno about stock photography. But what would make this more exciting is seeing a dude get Uchi Mata'd in that getup.

I dunno about stock photography. But what would make this more exciting is seeing a dude get Uchi Mata'd in that getup.

lol yeah, well that would be sports photography. I do BJJ equipment reviews on my blog

White Belt Academy The photos arent the greatest but I want to improve that.

Not exciting enough for help huh? lol

Last time I'm bumping until the AM I promise :)

The whites look a tad pink to me. Anyone else?

In the future, you may get more help if you title it "product" rather than "stock" photography.

The whites look a tad pink to me. Anyone else?

In the future, you may get more help if you title it "product" rather than "stock" photography.

Oh, I thought it was called stock photography. Hopefully Overread can change the title name for me.

Oh, I thought it was called stock photography. Hopefully Overread can change the title name for me.

If you're just taking photos for the purpose of stock-piling them in order to sell them at some future date, when a client comes looking for a specific type of image, that's 'stock' photography.

When a client comes to you and says, "I need a photo of this.....", that's product photography.

They may well be the exact same image, the difference is how you market yourself and them.

Your confusion may arise out of many retailers calling the products they sell as 'stock'.

If you're just taking photos for the purpose of stock-piling them in order to sell them at some future date, when a client comes looking for a specific type of image, that's 'stock' photography.

When a client comes to you and says, "I need a photo of this.....", that's product photography.

They may well be the exact same image, the difference is how you market yourself and them.

Ah I understand now. Thanks for the clarification. Yes so this would be product photography then.

Like Bitter said, a tad pink.

Also, the left outfit is a bit out of focus. For a shot like this, with controlled lighting and product placement, there really isn't any reason not to use a smaller aperture to make sure everything is sharp.

As far as improving it, a lot has to do with the product placement and preparation, which IMO is not done well at all. For instance, the items should have been ironed and weren't. The folding should have been more precise, but wasn't. The white balance needs be to corrected to get rid of the pink hue, and it should have been shot at a smaller aperture. As far as the placement, I guess if you are going to do it like that, I think I would prefer the shirt on the left instead of the right. Just seems a bit upside down to me.

For stock, and/or product photography, IMO, it's all about attention to detail.

Like Bitter said, a tad pink.

Also, the left outfit is a bit out of focus. For a shot like this, with controlled lighting and product placement, there really isn't any reason not to use a smaller aperture to make sure everything is sharp.

As far as improving it, a lot has to do with the product placement and preparation, which IMO is not done well at all. For instance, the items should have been ironed and weren't. The folding should have been more precise, but wasn't. The white balance needs be to corrected to get rid of the pink hue, and it should have been shot at a smaller aperture. As far as the placement, I guess if you are going to do it like that, I think I would prefer the shirt on the left instead of the right. Just seems a bit upside down to me.

For stock, and/or product photography, IMO, it's all about attention to detail.

I'm not entirely sure that I can iron a kimono jacket. I know I can't iron the lapel at least. These pants I can, but other pants have synthetic thread which cannot be. What should I do for that?
And as for being folded, I don't know how to fold it lol. This is how I took it out of the package. Guess I gotta get my youtube hat on lol.

Thanks for the tips.

Actually, should I wash it first then shoot?

It may bevas simple as pulling seems a bit to try to get rid if puckering.
To be honest, the pants didn't read as pants to me till I saw the belt loop.

I don't have any posing suggestions other than going looking at good clothing websites and see how others treat these items.
You know enough to separate the wheat from the chaff, I believe.

What's true about everything, as Kerbo said, the devil is in the details. If this is something you wish to excell at, study others!
I've seen a lot worse, if that helps. :sexywink:

It may bevas simple as pulling seems a bit to try to get rid if puckering.
To be honest, the pants didn't read as pants to me till I saw the belt loop.

I don't have any posing suggestions other than going looking at good clothing websites and see how others treat these items.
You know enough to separate the wheat from the chaff, I believe.

What's true about everything, as Kerbo said, the devil is in the details. If this is something you wish to excell at, study others!
I've seen a lot worse, if that helps. :sexywink:

What I was trying to accomplish is the idea of a first impression or an unpacking. I agree that it should be neater though.

Here's my next question: I'm looking at the tamron 28-75mm 2.8 with the intention of using it for both reviews like this one, and indoor sports. Would it be good for the sports aspect?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back