Help me speak American English?

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, crazy idea coming up!

I record myself reading a little from some English literature I have lying around. I transfer it to my computer, upload to the interwebz and post the link here. You listen to it, and tell me what could be better and what I maybe was doing alright on???

I try to read out loud sometimes when I'm reading books, but it's hard to analyse yourself. Recording myself and listening to it helps, but it's feels so awkward that I can't really do it. I write English fairly well, and I'm taking a course called Academic writing this semester, but I feel my speaking the language is quite a bit behind.

Anyone up for the game? I'll allow you to give me homework, and if I don't do them feel free to punish me!

im game!
ill even see if i cant dig up some sort of recording device so i can record any examples i give so you can hear the differences.

This could be interesting, especially if you think about the more distinct accents (New England, Southern, upper Mid West.)

Why American English .. being European, you are allowed to speak either with a Euro-Accent, or British if you prefer :)

Being Scandinavian, I am sure you sound like some people in the movie Fargo ;-)

The, uh, Texan twang in my voice would give you the most authentic, neutral representation of general American English...

But I can try and help. :)

honestly, American English is hardly "English" anymore.
learn the Queens English and punt on the slang.

Or just be cool and do it the 'murican way! :greenpbl:

pixmedic said:

Just like Mexican Spanish isn't necessarily "proper" Spanish anymore. But if you're going to visit Mexico you wouldn't learn Spain Spanish just because it's "Spanish-er." lol

pixmedic said:

Just like Mexican Spanish isn't necessarily proper Spanish anymore. But if you're going to visit Mexico you wouldn't learn Spain Spanish just because it's "Spanish-er." lol

Isn't it that Mexican Spanish has actually preserved more of traditional Spanish than Spanish in modern Spain? But then again I might be totally wrong here.

Alex_B said:
Isn't it that Mexican Spanish has actually preserved more of traditional Spanish than Spanish in modern Spain? But then again I might be totally wrong here.

Maybe, I'm not sure. I'm just talking about it from an academic standpoint. The Spanish that I was taught to be proper in school was not the Mexican Spanish.

I don't really know how it could be more traditional though, because the Spaniards are the ones who invaded Mexico in the first place.

It's kind of like how northern China speaks a more modern version of Chinese than the southern part, which speaks what is considered the more traditional Chinese

Wow, awesome folks! The reason for why I chose American English, is because my girlfriend is half-American, and spends a semester there now. I'm visiting this summer, and I may meet some of her family. I don't want to speak oxford English ;) And I think it's more pleasant to listen to, frankly, than most of the English dialects. In Norway, we are taught British English all the way, with the few exceptions with some chapters about America.

And Alex, I haven't seen Fargo, but I suspect I know what sort of ugly dialect that is. The folks from the eastern parts are often the worst. Their vocabulary isn't so bad, but the way they say the words might be. :)

There are some famous well-known Norwegians with famous English quotes. Petter Solberg, for instance. Anyone of you know what "demper" is :)

Anyway, I'll see if I can't record fairly soon. Thank you for the help!

I think I have trouble with proper pronunciation of "r". It's quite different from Norwegian.

Last edited by a moderator:
And Alex, I haven't seen Fargo, but I suspect I know what sort of ugly dialect that is. The folks from the eastern parts are often the worst. Their vocabulary isn't so bad, but the way they say the words might be. :)

Give it a try: Fargo (1996) - IMDb so many American dialects in that movie and a really nice dark story with lots of black humour. One of very few american movies I really like. It is the proof that in the US there is more than brainwashed cheesy Hollywood :)

As for Oxford English ... I always enjoy the attention I get when talking un-American English in the US :)

The folks from the eastern parts are often the worst. Their vocabulary isn't so bad, but the way they say the words might be. :)
Hmmm . . . I think I was just insulted! :greenpbl:

As far as your video, he might be saying "damper" - maybe it's a term for shock absorbers or the springs in the suspension.

pixmedic said:

Just like Mexican Spanish isn't necessarily "proper" Spanish anymore. But if you're going to visit Mexico you wouldn't learn Spain Spanish just because it's "Spanish-er." lol

If you learn castilian spanish, you can pretty much get by in whatever spanish speaking country you go to. same as if you learn "proper" english. might as well learn it correctly. the biggest differences between countries is their slang term anyway, which you wont learn from a textbook. and even slang varies from region to region like it does in the US from state to state.

Most reactions

Back