Help me speak American English?

It's all good. There are some unusual pronunciations in the eastern US, as well, between New England, the Southeast.

And EVERYWHERE in between!!!

How true. I guess my favorite, is good ole Bawlmer, Merlin. Why, donchoo know, it's the home of the Oryuls!

She will be at UC Davis, California. I wouldn't be able to geographically place any of your dialects. Maybe, just maybe, I'd be able to say "south" if I heard something that resembles True Blood dialects, but otherwise I could have said either Seattle or Miami ;)

Watch the movie Car's from Pixar and learn everything that 'Mator says. Then rent all the shows you can with Larry the Cable Guy and learn how he talks. You'll fit right in anywhere you go. :mrgreen:

Well, never mind where she attends Uni, what about where her family is?

She will be at UC Davis, California. I wouldn't be able to geographically place any of your dialects. Maybe, just maybe, I'd be able to say "south" if I heard something that resembles True Blood dialects, but otherwise I could have said either Seattle or Miami ;)

That southern accent in True Blood is more typical of more southeastern states like Georgia, Mississippi, and...maybe parts of Texas. I'm not sure that it stretches quite that far, well, at least I've never heard it quite that heavy in states like Arizona. I might be wrong. I've never been that far south in California. The only part I've ever been to is the valley girl "yeah, like, totally, brah" part. lol

The story about the Spanish king with a lisp is utter rubbish. Mexican Spanish is not closer to traditional Spanish, they have just evolved differently. Latin American dialects show influence from some regional accents in Spain, carried by settlers back in the day. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which variety you learn, unless you are going to communicate with a specific group of speakers. Written Spanish is fairly similar across the board, but spoken accents are different. I would suggest learning an educated version first, which is more likely to be widely understood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if Seth MacFarlane has ever been to England but i would probably guess not...and this is what wind me up about certain Americans that assume all English people speak like were in a Charles Dickens movie. I know its banter, and i don't lose sleep over it, but jeeeeees, it gets a little boring after a while.

Not sure if Seth MacFarlane has ever been to England but i would probably guess not...and this is what wind me up about certain Americans that assume all English people speak like were in a Charles Dickens movie. I know its banter, and i don't lose sleep over it, but jeeeeees, it gets a little boring after a while.
Show us how an Englishman speaks!

Show us how an Englishman speaks!

As many have said there are numerous dialects depending where you are, but i can tell you one thing, Nobody speaks like the little girl in that Family guy episode, That dialect is strictly for old movies and ammusing foreigners :)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back