Help me spend 11-1200 for a new body

Rob5589

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Last edited:
6D has excellent low light performance but a bit of a limiting AF system.
If I was a Canon shooter I would save up more money wait till I can get it and go for a used or refurbished 5D III, it simply is an overall much better camera and is well worth the money and the wait!

Just my 2c

Rent the bodies you are considering first. I was all set to buy the 6d until I rented it. Yes, I got way better ISO performance but the focusing system left so much to be desired that I'm now considering a few other models.

What will be shot? Landscape, portraits, sports, wildlife? Would help to know that.

My usage is very generalized; family, vacations, outdoors type stuff. While I may once in a while, no dedicated portraits, sports, birding.

If I was a Canon shooter I would save up more money wait till I can get it and go for a used or refurbished 5D III, it simply is an overall much better camera and is well worth the money and the wait!

Just my 2c

It has nothing to do with saving and waiting, I just am just not willing to spend more than I am. I am actually happy with my current set up (in my sig). I am only changing since I now have these better lenses.

Rent the bodies you are considering first. I was all set to buy the 6d until I rented it. Yes, I got way better ISO performance but the focusing system left so much to be desired that I'm now considering a few other models.

So what is the limiting factor with the AF? I have seen this mentioned but nobody is ever specific as to what they are unable to do with it's AF system.

Rob,
I am new to the "non-entry level" DSLR bodies but I just bought a 6D and love it. In all fairness I have never used a 5D MIII (I have used the MII)...For the money (I bought the kit with the 24-105mm f/4L at $18XX pre-tax), I cannot imagine a better purchase. Same with spending $11XX on the body alone.

I think the knock on the 6D autofocusing system is the lack of cross-type focus points (other than the center). Other bodies have multiple cross-type focus points.

My usage is very generalized; family, vacations, outdoors type stuff. While I may once in a while, no dedicated portraits, sports, birding.

Just my 2c

It has nothing to do with saving and waiting, I just am just not willing to spend more than I am. I am actually happy with my current set up (in my sig). I am only changing since I now have these better lenses.

So what is the limiting factor with the AF? I have seen this mentioned but nobody is ever specific as to what they are unable to do with it's AF system.
It only has 9 autofocus points, very similar to the earlier Rebel models. It can hunt for focus in lower light and is just not up to snuff.

The 6d has 11 pts, with a centre cross type. On paper its not fantastic, in use its more than adequate for most applications

Whoops. I didn't check specs first. But I did rent it and I really didn't like the AF system. I used it for a wedding and while I didn't miss focus I did get severely annoyed with it. YMMV of course.

Thanks to all for the opinions. I ended up ordering a refurb'd 6D. Should be here in 4-5 days.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back