Help me understands TTL and Sync mode and setting

Abrahamoloya

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since I took interest in photography, I spend most of time learning about other aspect of the trade but I have to admit that I have very little knowledge in understanding how to make full use of my flash gun. I own a SB-600 which I purchased as second hand and did not get the manual with it. I would very much want to learn how I can perform the front certain & rear certain syncro and the slow syncro. Please advice !!

Options you're describing are in-camera adjustments. On my Nikon units, (not sure which body you have) I'd have to press the flash button and rotate either command or sub-command dial (depending on how you set your camera up).
Strobist, is a great community. Another blog you can look into is David Ziser Digital ProTalk - he has TONS of tutorials, as well as video that you can watch through Kelby Training.

Good Luck

You can download Nikon product mauals here; Nikon Product Manuals available for download

Your Nikon camera's default flash shutter sync mode is front curtain sync.

Your camera has some flash TTL software programming written by a comittee of Japanese camera software engineers, who had no idea what you would be taking a flash photo of. They had no idea what, if any, artistic intend you may have. Consequently TTL flash control produces inconsistant results.

Your camera user's manual has a section titled 'Flash Modes' that explains front curtain, rear curtain, slow sync, and the other flash modes available to you.

I followed the bit that you have mentioned and have now allocated the sync mode, thanks a lot for that I still need to know how to go around with it.

thank you very much phonix, I have download the manual and will begin looking into it immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a most excellent video. Thanks for posting it.

Kevin

Most reactions

New Topics

Back