Help me with thoughts on my camera set up

Brittney0726

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am about to purchase a dslr to use to photograph my kids and family. I would like a lens that's great in low light situations. I don't have a problem spending $2000 on the set up. I would be adding additonal lenses a little at a time.

I am looking at purchasing a NIKON d7000 camera, NIKON 35mm f/1.8 lens, a NIKON sb400 flash and a bounce card.

Please give me some advise if you think I have a good starter set up. I'm just a beginner and some great advise from the professionals.

I was also contemplating the 50mm 1.4 NIKON lens. What are your thoughts on what lens may be better. I would need to take full length shots. I would eventually be buying both these lens but which one in addition to the camera and flash choice do you think?

Not a pro here but I've had more than my share of gear-itus.

I'd get the 35mm vs. 50mm. It's "normal" focal length makes it a little more useful for the average person's everyday type of shooting. It performs nearly as well, as well, or better than the 50mm 1.4g at a fraction of the price.

I'd also look for a used 18-105 VR. It will give you a nice range with good performance at a decent price. A used 18-70 is also a nice choice. Really all of Nikon's kit lenses perform very well and add a lot of versatility for the money. A refurb 18-55VR is around $100, performs well and focuses pretty close if semi-macro is an interest.

As for a speed-light, I'd spend a bit more on an SB-700 or a used SB600 or SB800. The D7000 can fire these speed-lights off camera in commander mode. Maybe not something you'll want to try now but one of those things you'll definitely want to try later.
Also the SB-400 doesn't allow for swivel - only up and down. Side bouncing as well as being able to bounce in portrait mode make it almost worth the difference alone. And you get more power.

The D7000, 18-xx, 35 1.8, and flash would make a wonderful kit.

I am about to purchase a dslr to use to photograph my kids and family. I would like a lens that's great in low light situations. I don't have a problem spending $2000 on the set up. I would be adding additonal lenses a little at a time.

I am looking at purchasing a NIKON d7000 camera, NIKON 35mm f/1.8 lens, a NIKON sb400 flash and a bounce card.

Please give me some advise if you think I have a good starter set up. I'm just a beginner and some great advise from the professionals.

Brittney........everything John M. said is right on the money. (ooops, I mean mnhoj ;) ) The SB-700 is a far superior flash, swivels for bounce, more powerful, has a built in bounce card, comes with difusers. Don't waste money on the SB-400, please.
All his lens suggestions are right on.

Great thanks. I was contemplating the sb700 its a bit more expensive but worth the money now that you have pointed out somethings. Going to go with the d7000 sb700 and 35 mm 1.8 lens then will add the 18xxx a little later on. Thanks!

The 35 mm f/1.8 will distort peoples features, particularly when used close up. The 35 mm f/1.8 is somewhat soft focus sharpness wise, and also has issues with lateral CA (chromatic aberration) and purple fringing when used at large apertures.
The 35 mm f/1.8 works fairly well when stopped down a bit. In other words you won't want to use f/1.8, but should be ok at say f/3.5, 2 stops smaller aperture.

I recommend you get and use the Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D IF AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras in lieu of the 35 mm, and later a 18 mm - xx lens.

Are you getting the kit lens with the camera? I wouldn't rule out the kit lens when starting out. The 35mm is a great lens and will allow you more room for getting in more people or standing people, but like mentioned before if you are doing close ups it's got some drawbacks. It's no zoom at all. It's about equal to or just less than what the eye sees as a normal range of view. So, you'll be finding yourself wanting to get up close, and you'll find your self very short when you are shooting other things...
Keeping the kit lens in there allows you to really get a feel for the different focal lengths, what your style will be and for helping you to know and understand what you will need down the road.

Most reactions

Back