What's new

Help me with what went wrong ..

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 7, 2009
Messages
935
Reaction score
173
Location
S. Idaho
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Out of focus and way too soft .. The noise is terrable, but ISO was only 200.. This is about a 50% crop..

Settings were the same for all photographs, and EXIF Data follows...

On this one, the feeder is extremely out of focus... (Bird, I can understand.) and extreme noise..

4317123555_463fd3301d_b.jpg



Noise, focus, softness on this one.....

4317853002_a894f63ef4_b.jpg




This one can use some PP, but I dont' think it'll help the softness and focus issues again..


4317121381_1ae91cb935_b.jpg



The first two were taken from about 12 feet from the feeder, Canon XSI on a tripod with a remote shutter release - no/little wind, and I was trippin the shutter from inside the house..

File size 1958k
Shutter Speed 1/500
f/5.6
ISO: 200
Focal 180mm

The last picture was taken from about 10 ft away

Shutter Speed 1/400
f/5.6
ISO: 100
Focal 170mm

Any help ???

tks
 
Last edited:
Are you sure the camera is auto focusing when you use the remote? Ive heard some remotes arent the best at triggering auto focus....

I wonder if you might be using a shutter speed that is too slow? Others will be able to give you better advice....
 
My remote shutter, on the XSi does not allow auto focus.
 
Those shot look like some of mine and i'm kinda anxious to see what others with more experience than me have to say about your question.
 
I manually focused on the feeders and made sure manual was selected on the lens....

BTW, this is the kit 75-300 non IS.. Not the best lens, but .. best I have.

I do have a Quantray polzr filter, but I made sure it was very clean... It 'could' be the problem, but I havent' had any problem with it before and it normally stays on the camera... I've taken some sharp shots in the past...

Thought the shutter speed would have been fast enough... ?
 
I suggest to set the aperture to f/8.0 keep ISO at 100 ... your lens appears soft wide open.
 
This is a shot this morning without any filters... Yes, we got some snow last night .... :x

1/400
300mm
f/5.6
iso 200

4318766967_26102aecb3_b.jpg


I'll try the smaller ISO after lunch....
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom