Help me!

Civchic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Landscapes just sort of...defeat me. Is it the light I'm getting? Is it my lens (just a kit 18-55 but I'm not a "gear makes me better" person)? Is it my composition? Whenever I get a landscape shot out of the camera it just sort of...meh. SO yeah, C&C welcome!

apr 11 burlington lake front by civgirlca, on Flickr

apr 11 breakwall by civgirlca, on Flickr

Is this any better?

$bklit_lake.jpg

The EXIF data lists DPP as the processing software. Did you process a CR2 file through DPP or a camera JPEG?

Joe

That IS a bit better - I didn't go far enough on the colour pump, I guess? Or was it white balance?

It was a CR2 file through DPP.

That IS a bit better - I didn't go far enough on the colour pump, I guess? Or was it white balance?

It was a CR2 file through DPP.

If you have a CR2 original then a much better processing job is possible -- much better than my repair attempt with your JPEG.

The JPEG you posted has clipped highlights; all three channels are blown, but that data should be intact in the raw file. The white balance is off and that plays a role in the channel clipping. DPP defaulted to the camera white balance and you had the camera set to auto white balance so that was a complication. The auto white balance error is fully correctable when converting the raw file; you needed to raise the color temp.

The scene is backlit with the sun shinning toward you from the upper left. That backlighting makes for a tricky exposure and much more difficult processing. DPP is pretty limited in it's ability in this case and you'd benefit from more capable processing software that can make local tone adjustments. You want to be able to prevent the highlight clipping while at the same time raise the overall contrast. One option would be to supplement DPP with an editor like PSE. That's not an easy photo to process.

Joe

I think that both of these shots are missing a focal point.

In #1, the man is looking out, but you can't tell what he is looking at because the tangle of tree gets in the way.

In #2, the line of rocks seems to be the focal point, and it leads out of the frame a bit. Maybe getting lower and closer to the rocks would give them more presence.

In both, you might get better results in evening or morning light.

It is definitely the middle of the day. Lunch hour at work! I do understand that that is a serious limitation. I'm going to try to visit this spot at a better hour and set the shots up differently.

I have GIMP but I think I'm going to have to apply myself to acquiring and learning PSE. It seems like a daunting task! Thank you all for all of your tips on both composition and processing. I even understood some of what Ysarex said! Ha. I'm going to Costa Rica in the fall and really want to work on landscape shots until then. I'd hate to go to such a beautiful place and come back with only snapshots.

Something to consider is that you are shooting in spring. The colors aren't going to pop at you like they would in the summer months. Everything is dull and dirty so to speak. With that in mind you may want to consider a black and white conversion.

Those are great photos! Love them :)

Here's my version(s).

$13786967283_29c6cc285e - Version 2.jpg$13787289244_6ca8df722f - Version 2.jpg

It is definitely the middle of the day. Lunch hour at work! I do understand that that is a serious limitation. I'm going to try to visit this spot at a better hour and set the shots up differently.

I have GIMP but I think I'm going to have to apply myself to acquiring and learning PSE. It seems like a daunting task! Thank you all for all of your tips on both composition and processing. I even understood some of what Ysarex said! Ha. I'm going to Costa Rica in the fall and really want to work on landscape shots until then. I'd hate to go to such a beautiful place and come back with only snapshots.

GIMP is capable -- more capable than Elements in many ways, but not as easy to learn to use.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back