HELP - my new lens is driving me mad!

1st image: shutter speed 1/60 sec, aperture f4.5 and focal lenth 74mm

2nd image: shutter speed 1/60 sec, aperture f5.0 and focal length 109mm

Thanks. I'll try the test. Yeah i know it's likely to be my fault!

P.s. Thanks Overread for telling me bout my website, i deleted that photo and it seems to be working ok (you might have guessed im not too good with computers!)

Those shutter speeds should be OK, especially if you have the IS turned on....so it is likely a focus issue. So now you need to determine whether or not you are focusing correctly. Try the test and also some other 'real world' tests. Take some shots and be careful about what you are focusing on. Then examine the shots to see if the focus is accurate. It would probably help to choose shots that have objects in front of and behind the subject, so that you can tell if the focus gets better or worse in either direction.

Did you buy this lens locally? You might also return to the shop and ask to test out another one, or maybe this one on a different camera. It's possible that you just got a bad copy, but you should try to rule out user error first.

Last edited:
Do all your shots come out out-of-focus (these are out-of-focus, not pixelated)? If so, your lens/camera combo has a back or front focusing problem (consistently focusing ahead of or behind the subject. If there is a Canon service center nearby, they may be able to calibrate your lens for you to solve the problem. Also, try returning this lens and trying another. If the problem persists, get your body's AF calibrated with the lens.

Most reactions

Back