Help... My next step?

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by Timppa, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Timppa

Timppa No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can believe indeed that the D800 series is mind blowing, but for me, at this point, it just seems like an overkill. I also like the fact that the D750 has a tilting screen and 2fps faster.
    Almost made my decision.... thinking D750 + Nikon 18-35 F3.5-4.5 + perhaps a 50mm 1.8.

2. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    if you need the FPS, look at the D810 instead -- it's actually faster than the D750.

Food:

I don't see how the D800 is "overkill" compared to the D750. If you ignore the MP count, the d800 is pretty basic in comparison (no tilting screen, no wifi, no highlight metering, etc.).

The sensor performance is pretty much identical, but you simply gain all the extra resolution for your landscapes/cropping.

The d810 actually introduced some cool features in the software (like the "people" AF mode of the pro-bodies or highlight metering).

with all the money saved, you can pick up a better lens than the 50mm 1.8.

3. Timppa

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I kind of really like the extra options of the D750, for me it seems as a better choice above the D800/D800e.
    I really don't have the money for the D810 ^^, not even used. (because need lens too).

Also I am starting to suddenly have issues with my computer a lot, it is 8y old and lightroom works so slow now.... I will probably have to spend money on a new computer as well.
    I am really appreciating all the help and effort. But with my computer issues currently and my forever doubt, I might need to postpone my upgrades.
    Anyway, this thread is added to my favs and I'll definitely will use it later again :).
    If I make my decision, you guys will be the first to know ^^

4. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    LR needs a great processor. Adobe writes trash applications and doesn't know how to really utilize multi-threading.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Timppa

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is good info indeed :)
    My current one is a i7-2720QM 2.2ghz...
    I was thinking to set a new computer together: i5-8600K perhaps.
    Any tips on Graphic card for lightroom?
    (going off topic in my own thread o_o)

6. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    GPU doesn't matter for LR -- they haven't been able to properly utilize it for processing power.

7. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    OP, sorry to derail your thread, but I'm in a similar situation, will my next upgrade be fx? I had always planned to upgrade my dx body to d7100, 7200. Now, I think I've changed my mind. Leaning toward used d800 body. Even if I have to use it in dx mode while I save for lenses.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Timppa

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Was my thinking as well, thanks :)

Also think what you photograph, the D800e has no AA-filter and is better if you do landscapes/nature. almost all new cameras the AA-filter is removed, but the D800 still has.

9. Timppa

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A decision has been made!

I could make a nice deal and currently bought the new Nikon 10-20 AF-P lens. so small and handy o_o, and better results then my tokina 12-24!

I was having in my mind the idea to go maybe mirrorless, like sony or something, but rumour has it that Nikon is working on it as well.
    So I will use my current set + my little extra 10-20 ^^. and next year, 2019, If nikon released mirrorless and reviews are good, change to that setup.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sportrunner

Sportrunner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not a bad decision. I have the d750 and would add a couple of pros and cons. I like the U1 U2 better than the banks in the 800/810. The low light focus on the d750 is ridiculously good. Sd cards work better for my work flow. On the negatives, the pro controls are nice on the 800. More pixels are better in this case. The 800 is way more robust. Lastly, the D750 is loud, really loud.

If you are looking at moving to fx in the future make sure you understand how it impacts your process. Wide angle is a lot easier. Manual focus is easier. But losing the crop factor will make a difference capturing wildlife. You will also need to evaluate your lens collection. When you get ready to make a move rent or borrow the cameras you are looking at and try them out.

11. Timppa

Photos NOT OK to edit

Well, I would still keep my D7100 or get a better crop sensor camera for my wildlife :).
    It is just for travelling, general photography and landscapes I am considering going mirrorless.