HELP! MY PHOTOS ARE OUT OF FOCUS...AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

TFPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm shooting with a D90 equipped with either a 70-200mm 2.8 or a 50mm 1.8 depending on the subject. My images are coming out blurry EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's driving me nuts. I know that the focus point at 1.8-2.8 is tiny...so what f-stop should I use when doing general portraiture to get the desired blurry back ground as well as a larger focus point (when shooting groups or from a distance? HELP!!! I want SHARP CLEAR images for my customers!!!

Your a photographer with clients and don't know what you are doing? Wow.

I'd say set the ISO to 400, and put the camera on Program mode and see if the shutter speed/aperture choices might yield better images. Without sample pictures to go by, it is difficult to know if your issue is focusing, or subject motion blur, or camera shake, or what, exactly.

this oughta be fun(ny)

I uploaded some to my profile...not sure if I did it right. I'm brand new to this site. Thank you very much for your willingness to help...

TO THE REST OF YOU JERKS:
No, I don't have customers...but I hope to someday, when I am skilled enough. This is a "beginners" forum....hence the "BEGINNER" question. Why don't you go get a life...instead of sitting on your computers waiting around for someone to make fun of. It's pathetic...but then again, this forum is probably the only place you find normal people who are willing to act like you matter. I came here for help...not discouraging remarks. Back off.

I uploaded some. Thanks so much for the help...let me know what you think. I'm fairly new to this.

Are you post processing?
Are you using a fast enough shutter speed for the lens? if not why not?

Close the lens down 2 stops, both of them when in use, get in close, and, if you cant then zoom the lens out, open the aperture or increase iso till you get at least 1/250 ss. H

PS. Lose the attitude, you'll get more help.

I looked at the photo of the three boys... f/2.8 at 1/1250 in bright sunlight...it looks to me like the focus is on the grass at the very bottom of the frame, leaving the boys about 2 feet behind the point of actual focus. Where is the active AF point??? Not trying to be a S-A, but do you know how to adjust the AF area in use???

Seriously, I am thinking a return to default settings and setting the camera on Program might be a better option at this time. F/2.8 is awfully wide an aperture for "safe" portraiture...the depth of field band is just so narrow, that on a 3-person group the chances are high that one or two people will not be within the focus plane adequately well enough...

I would trade some speed for a smaller aperture, as the f/2.8 at 1/1250 setting is plenty fast a shutter speed...I'd rather move down in aperture size to f/4 at 1/640 second, or even down another click or two on the aperture...

I assume that the OP is talking about bokeh? WHere the DOF is so thin that majority of the picture is OOF. I think. lol.

TO THE REST OF YOU JERKS:
No, I don't have customers...but I hope to someday, when I am skilled enough. This is a "beginners" forum....hence the "BEGINNER" question. Why don't you go get a life...instead of sitting on your computers waiting around for someone to make fun of. It's pathetic...but then again, this forum is probably the only place you find normal people who are willing to act like you matter. I came here for help...not discouraging remarks. Back off.

See, here is the issue. You said:

I want SHARP CLEAR images for my customers!!!

But really, you dont have any customers. Its the internet, people dont have any lines to read between. Post truths, not half truths or wishes. Also, might want to grow a thicker skin around forums, specially ones where people's opinions drive the community. If you post a crap image, you will be told its crap. No harm intended, as its the best way to grow. Same as if you post asking fundamental questions and then state you have clients, people will call you on that.

As for the images, take a step back and learn the basics. You are new and are lacking in the basic knowledge of photography. Look into the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Great read.

I see many people grab a camera, put it in manual (or semi) and start that way. Might work for some, but doesnt work for all

I only posted the picture of the 3 boys....don't know about the others. I'm set to JPG Large Fine...and setting the AF focal point while in use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back