What's new

Help needed; Nikon D90 fit 70-300mm lens

timputtick

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
165
Reaction score
14
Location
South England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im looking for a 70-300mm lens for my Nikon D90 but most i have seen are not fully compatible focus wise, my budget is about £200 unfortunately. All Appreciated.
Thanks
 
What do you mean "not fully compatible"? Every Nikon lens from the last 30+ years will work with your D90.

You can get a factory demo Nikon 70-300mm VR for $400 or used for cheaper on Ebay. That should be close to your budget.
 
i was looking at the sigma 70-300 and the tamron 70-300 nikon fit, and it says the manual focus only works on specific models, this may well be a silly question as i am a novice,
cheers
 
i was looking at the sigma 70-300 and the tamron 70-300 nikon fit, and it says the manual focus only works on specific models, this may well be a silly question as i am a novice,
cheers

Yeah, they won't auto-focus on lower Nikons like the D3000, D3100, D5000, D5100, or D40, etc. But the D90 has a built in motor so it will focus no problem.
 
oh thanks very much, would you happen to know which model is better build quality? cheers
 
oh thanks very much, would you happen to know which model is better build quality? cheers

I've never used either but I feel like I've heard good reviews on the optics for the Sigma on this forum.
 
I have a Nikon D90 and bought this Sigma lens Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro For Nikon Digital: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics because it had good reviews but I found it very slow and noisy. Maybe I got a bad copy because a lot of people seem to like the Sigma APO lens. Fortunately I was able to return it so I tried the Tamron Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Nikon+Motor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics which I really like and although I now have the Nikon lens I still use the Tamron as the macro is quite good.

Either take your camera to your local camera shop and try the lenses out before you buy or order from somewhere like Amazon where you can return the lens if you do not like it. :thumbup:
 
Last edited:
Another option, you can try the DX 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR, it cost just a little bit high than the DX 55-200mm G VR but the range extended to 300mm. Try to get a used one if you have a tight budget.

Tips, visit your local Nikon Ofiice/Service centre, sometimes they have Nikon refuburished camera, lenses for sale. I get my 55-200mm G VR at less than 50% of retail price from Nikon Canada.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom