Help needed with iPad sync to "new" computer.

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I had to head off to the east coast for a bit, grabbed my small laptop because space was tight, grabbed my portable HDD with a Tb of movies, books, etc, on it, and figured I had enough for the plane ride across and I'd re-load when I got there, but I forgot about Applie's ****ing idiotic "you're only allowed to use one computer" rule. All I want to do is add a few more books & movies, but ****ing iTunes want's to erase the whole iPad.

Now, I've found a couple of tutorials on how to deal with the application side of things, and that doesn't seem too difficult, BUT what I can't find out is how to deal with the other stuff; for instance: When i authorize this "new" computer and back up all of my applications does the data (for instance the movies which are embedded in my video viewer application) get restored or just the bare-bones application, and what about my photos and books. ESPECIALLY my photos; okay, granted I can get them back as soon as I get home, but I really don't want to lose them at all while I'm here.

Any help, greatly appreciated!

All I want to do is add a few more books & movies, but ****ing iTunes want's to erase the whole iPad.

You could just buy the content on the iPad itself.

You could also use Dropbox or an file management app like "Files App" http://getfilesapp.com/

With files app you can add any file to the app from a web browser on any computer in the same network.

With drop box and Files App you can tell it to open the PDFs or ebook files in iBooks if you want. You cannot do the same with music or video and have them put in the music or videos app but you can play them in the Files App itself.

All I want to do is add a few more books & movies, but ****ing iTunes want's to erase the whole iPad.

You could just buy the content on the iPad itself. I would if I could, but (1) No wifi, and (2) most of the books and movies are too old for iTunes (Old Tom Swift, old B&W silent movies).

You could also use Dropbox or an file management app like "Files App" Files App - All your files. One simple App.

With files app you can add any file to the app from a web browser on any computer in the same network.

With drop box and Files App you can tell it to open the PDFs or ebook files in iBooks if you want. You cannot do the same with music or video and have them put in the music or videos app but you can play them in the Files App itself.

I can't tell from the iTunes page, but does this application support data transfer when tethered to the PC, or does it rely on wifi? If so... ^^

You could just buy the content on the iPad itself. I would if I could, but (1) No wifi, and (2) most of the books and movies are too old for iTunes (Old Tom Swift, old B&W silent movies).

You could also use Dropbox or an file management app like "Files App" Files App - All your files. One simple App.

I can't tell from the iTunes page, but does this application support data transfer when tethered to the PC, or does it rely on wifi? If so... ^^

I've never tried it connected via USB.

If your on a Mac it's easy to have the Mac create its own wifi network, not sure if windows lets you do the same thing.

I know there are lots of hotspot applications, but I don't have any installed and don't really feel like going that route... I guess I'm just going to have back up the applications, wipe it and curse Apple to the high heavens (again).

I know there are lots of hotspot applications, but I don't have any installed and don't really feel like going that route... I guess I'm just going to have back up the applications, wipe it and curse Apple to the high heavens (again).

I'm not talking about hot spot applications for the iPad. You literally have the computer act as the wifi router and then the iPad connects to the network the computer created.

Maybe I'm not understanding properly. I can "sync" my older iPod with multiple computers, but I have to go into iTunes and set it for manual management. Does the iPad do things differently?

Or just try the files app using while connected the iPad via USB.

You are really making the whole thing a lot more difficult then it needs to be.

Even if you don't have the computer make its own wifi network there are wifi networks everywhere. Connect both the laptop and the iPad to wifi at Starbucks to moves files to the "Files App"

Maybe I'm not understanding properly. I can "sync" my older iPod with multiple computers, but I have to go into iTunes and set it for manual management.

That's correct but you have to set the manual manage from the commuter that the iPad is paired with. The OP does not have that computer with him.

Are you trying to sync with a Mac or PC?
If your using a Mac or Mac Book you can Sync the Ipad with the Mac thru Itunes just connect the Ipad to the computer via USB and tell the computer what to sync.
Hope this makes sense as I am fairly new ti the Apple world I sync my Ipad and Iphone with my IMac

Are you trying to sync with a Mac or PC?
If your using a Mac or Mac Book you can Sync the Ipad with the Mac thru Itunes just connect the Ipad to the computer via USB and tell the computer what to sync.
Hope this makes sense as I am fairly new ti the Apple world I sync my Ipad and Iphone with my IMac

You don't fully understand the way iTunes syncs with an iPad or iPhone.

The iPad will pair itself with the first computer that you sync it to. If you then connect the ipad to a different computer iTunes on the second computer will to erase the iPad in order to sync the iPad.

There is an option to manually manage the music and video on the iPad that will allow you to add content from a different computer but you must connect the iPad to the computer it is pared with to turn that option on. Once the manually manage option is turned on you are not actually syncing with the 2nd computer you are manually moving some music or video onto the device.

There is an option to manually manage the music and video on the iPad that will allow you to add content from a different computer but you must connect the iPad to the computer it is pared with to turn that option on. Once the manually manage option is turned on you are not actually syncing with the 2nd computer you are manually moving some music or video onto the device.

Thanks! I was not aware of that, and had not found that on my research... I will limp along 'til I get home this tme and then make sure I set that option!

I'm not talking about hot spot applications for the iPad. You literally have the computer act as the wifi router and then the iPad connects to the network the computer created.
Understood; I was referring to using a Windows application to turn my laptop into a hotspot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back