Help needed with my minolta dynax 404/maxxum 4 + 28-80mm +75-300 +tamron 2x

warpy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey,

i have been googling for days now and i cant find any place that still sells this minolta camera, i am trying to find a proper price for it.
i would realy like to sell it over ebay and use the cash i get from it to buy a canon rebel/20D/30D/sony alpha.
another option was to use those 2 lenses on the canon body or the new sony alpha but i am realy clueless.

any help would be greatly appreciated. cheers, warp.

You won't find many places still selling Minolta gear...as Minolta was bought out by Sony. You might think there there would still be some Minolta stock around though....maybe Sony had it all pulled from shelves.

The lenses will not work on a Canon body...but I believe that the new Sony Alpha will accept all Minolta lenses.

I hate to say it, but I have a Maxxum 5 with the Minolta 28-80 and 75-300mm lens and I ended up just holding onto it instead of getting what little money I could from selling it on e-Bay... which is probably somewhere around $200. I too was contemplating selling it to raise some dough for the Rebel.

the camera and lenses cost me about 450$ with a 200$ tamron lens
are you sure the going price is around 200$ ? seems like a shame selling this camera for that much, but what use do i have for a film camera these days ?
i have stopped using it after 20 rolls just because the digital age was introduced :(

warpy said:
the camera and lenses cost me about 450$ with a 200$ tamron lens
are you sure the going price is around 200$ ? seems like a shame selling this camera for that much, but what use do i have for a film camera these days ?
i have stopped using it after 20 rolls just because the digital age was introduced :(

My kit originally cost me $699 + taxes, the camera and two lens. You're more than welcome to price it out. You can probably get more than my $200 quote but I dunno.

thanks mike,

keh is another place that doesnt have that model :(
its as if the world got rid of it... any other places perhaps ?

Maybe that's a good sign...the camera is so good...that nobody wants to get rid of them.

i emailed them for a quote. lets hope they answer me with a proper reply.
yeah its a good sign lol.. i wish, been looking all over the newsgroups, forums etc.

got word from keh.com "I could roughly pay about $140 for your equipment. "

i could probably get more on ebay, but this seems like peanuts, i rather just give the camera away to someone heh..

looking at the sony a100 it seems its a good rival for the cannon 30D, does anyone have an opinion about this ?

Most other DSLR cameras are not in the same league as Canon & Nikon IMO. However, if you already have Minolta Glass, it seems like a no-brainer to go with the Sony/Minolta.

i did check out the specs, they almost surpass anything the 30D can offer.
(on dpreview.com)

I haven't actually read anything about the Alpha yet...so I don't know. It sounds like a good fit for you.

probably, i already have 2 other sony cameras. but phil holland from phfx.com kind of talked me into canon, specs wise i do get more, but canon has a huge history with slr and for sony its a first..

i appreciate the help so far.

i found many reviews on the newsgroups regarding the alpha, i guess its time to read them.

One of the most important specs is image quality...which is hard to specify.

Don't rule out Sony because this is their first DSLR. This camera was in development long before Sony put it's name on it. It's really a Minolta.

As with most cameras...the best thing to do, is to go into a shop an hold the cameras. Try them out if you can. Play with the controls and menus. If a camera feels better in your hands...that will mean more than a lot of specs.

Most reactions

Back