HELP| Night Photography Problem. Too Grainy or Too Blurry.

I guess I can try lugging it around...as far as missing something...I'll try to inspect his Camera or ask him what I'm doing wrong...or he's doing right..if not I can always resort to my Ninja Skills to look at his Camera.

Do you all have any tips on cool things to shoot maybe at night?

Ninja skills are cool.

Do you live close to urban/city areas?

A tripod wont do anything if you are trying to take a photo of a moving person though (freeze action)

Nikon D40

Hmm, the d40 only has 6mp while your camera has 18mp. Generally high mp camera's have more noise. At the same time, the t2i is a higher quality camera, so I don't know...

Yeah, but If I'm just a Beginner doing Beginner DLSR Photography? I'm already spending much into the 5000+$ Range...how high do you need to go to just get a little Night-light in your photos haha

You'll just have to carry a tripod around. The convenience of no tripod will cost you.

You could try turning on noise reduction, it would help a bit.

Sure, but if you want to take difficult photos, you will need more expensive equipment.

Nonsense, you just need more patience and practice. A steadier hand doesn't hurt, either.

If we're talking lenses, that's different; having a lens that can open up to 1.8 or lower is going to help a ton.

Ok, let me rephrase that.

If you want it to be easier to take difficult photos, you will need more expensive equipment.

what iso is HE shooting at?
i have a d40 and it sucks past 400.

see if you can get a shot of his that you think is more acceptable than yours and the exif.

I don't know about the d40 specifically, but I've heard that Nikons handle higher ISO with less grain, so he may be bumping up the ISO.

I'd go down to your local Walmart and buy a cheapy tripod. Or look at Goodwill or other resale shops. Tripods should weigh less than a few pounds. Mines metal and only weighs 2 lbs.

The other option, for mobility, is to get a monopod. Like it sounds, it only has one leg, but you can keep the camera a lot more still with a monopod vs. hand held.

*EDIT*

In regard to your Father and Grandfather's comment: That was true of film bodies. Not so much with digital. Nikons are known for good ISO range, Canons... not so much (I feel your pain). Even in the same brand, bodies can make a huge difference. I saw someone shoot at ISO 3200 with a Canon 5D and was blown away. It looked like mine does at ISO 200, lol. I try not to venture over ISO 400 if I can help it. Just be glad you don't have a 300D like me!

Tripod, tripod, tripod. You'll never want to be without it again. Believe us.

Haha Thanks.
Well I guess I can see the Point..he Died before Digital became the Norm he was always in film or old hand-cranked Video Cameras. he used to take picture of Tulane University's Football Team for them. I looked up to him a lot to the point I'm restarting his Business and following under his footsteps. Now whether I'm doing it right...that is debatable since I'm both New to Digital and Film...I've only been doing Film for 4 Years and Digital for 3 Weeks...:lol:

LordFly said:
Nonsense, you just need more patience and practice. A steadier hand doesn't hurt, either.

If we're talking lenses, that's different; having a lens that can open up to 1.8 or lower is going to help a ton.

Hmm, I'll have to check those lenses out I believe I'm somewhere in the 2/3 Range for mine.

AdrianC said:
Hmm, the d40 only has 6mp while your camera has 18mp. Generally high mp camera's have more noise. At the same time, the t2i is a higher quality camera, so I don't know...

You'll just have to carry a tripod around. The convenience of no tripod will cost you.

You could try turning on noise reduction, it would help a bit.

I was actually gonna buy the T1i when I first bought the Camera but the same day I was going to buy it the T2i had come out 7hrs earlier and they had 1 left in stock haha.

I'll have to see if my Camera even has Noise reduction...I have not yet seen it in the Menu items if it does.

pbelarge said:
Try this link for some ideas
City Night Scenes Wallpapers | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ninja skills are cool.

Do you live close to urban/city areas?

I live about 10/15 Miles outside of Houston Texas
Yeah being a Ninja with my Camera is My Specialty.
Also, Thanks for the Link.

Could the F-Stop be the problem I'm having? because I have that setup in the F6.0+ Range.
Why didn't you mention this earlier?

The smaller your aperture (higher F number), the longer your shutter speed will need to be. So if you can set your aperture to F4, or better yet, F2.8 etc., then you will get a faster shutter speed, and thus, likely get sharper photos when shooting without a tripod.

oi

thats part of it for sure.

Could the F-Stop be the problem I'm having? because I have that setup in the F6.0+ Range.
Why didn't you mention this earlier?

The smaller your aperture (higher F number), the longer your shutter speed will need to be. So if you can set your aperture to F4, or better yet, F2.8 etc., then you will get a faster shutter speed, and thus, likely get sharper photos when shooting without a tripod.

So the lower I can get it the better the quality/faster the shutter speed I can set?:confused: I didn't post it earlier can I had no idea it had any effect on lighting...or night shooting for that matter.

SrBiscuit said:
what iso is HE shooting at?
i have a d40 and it sucks past 400.

see if you can get a shot of his that you think is more acceptable than yours and the exif.

Will try to get a Comparison photo don't have any of his on hand.

LordFly said:
It would help if we could see a comparison between his shots and yours.

Will Try!

dude.. get basic understanding first with Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO.. then you can start talking about equipment.

I'm terrified that people spend so much money on stuff when they don't know the basics... it's like buying a ferrari before you get your driver's license. I spent my first three months of owning my DSLR just reading books on photography. Ah, well, snowstorms will do that to you.

dude.. get basic understanding first with Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO.. then you can start talking about equipment.

Lordfly said:
I'm terrified that people spend so much money on stuff when they don't know the basics... it's like buying a ferrari before you get your driver's license. I spent my first three months of owning my DSLR just reading books on photography. Ah, well, snowstorms will do that to you.

@Schwettylens,Lordfly

Hey, Look! I came here for advice & Help not Criticism and Mocking. I have mentioned about 20 - 30 Times in this thread that I am new Completely new to Digital and have been doing film for a while. You 2 were once New to Digital Photography am I right? Than Lay-off. :grumpy:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back