Help on deciding: Nikon d300 or Nikon d700

marie_lid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi,

I am looking to upgrade my Nikon d70s camera that has served me well for the last 4 years. I have mostly been using it with my sigma 18 - 200mm lens and have been pretty pleased with that.

But as I lately have been getting into a bit wedding photography and some fashion photography for a magazine, I need an upgrade.

So while having my eyes set on the d700, I am not sure whether or not I would really need it and if the d300 could be a good enough option for me.

The thing is that while I love photography I am not very technical provident yet, as in I of course use manual settings and understand the basic of what the different lenses offer I do not understand everything. Especially not when it comes to FX, DX and the different lenses and options and so on.
This is something I want to learn more about though…

So I would mainly be using the camera for weddings, fashion shoots, some street photography, and most likely very often as I shoot a lot.

Does anyone have any opinions on what would be good options for me camera and/or lens wise?

Any input would be great!:)

Before the crowd chimes in and shouts OMG D700 IS THE BEST YOU SIMPLY MUST GET A D700. Consider your needs accurately for a second.

On the one side you say your stepping into wedding photography. This is an area where a D700 would be most useful, but don't forget that you're entering an arena which will cost the earth. Full frame f/2.8 lenses etc. This is a big commitment if you're on a budget.

On the other hand you're workhorse is the 18-200mm Sigma. This is just screaming out for a lens upgrade. The upgrade to a D700 would be a waste if you couldn't afford a decent lens to go with it, yet an upgraded lens will give you an instant boost to what you have.

This is a tricky one that you need to solve given your own aspirations and financial situation. Personally given the same situation I'd look into buying some decent full frame lenses like the 24-70mm f/2.8 and then running the D70 slowly into the ground. When it gives up buying a D700 (or D800 if it's out).

Like the above poster suggested, I suggested the D300 with a nice lens, unless you can afford a lens that will do justice to the d700.

The 85mm 1.8 with a fast zoom to compliment it.

I'm not familiar with Australian coinage, but I think a good solution might be to take a fairly heavy coin, one about 25mm in diameter and 3mm thick, place it on your curled up right index finger with your thumb cocked under that same index finger, and vigorously flick the thumb upwardly, sending the coin rotating upward, and through the air, and then allow gravity to do its job.

If that Australian coin lands heads up, it's the D300. If it lands tails up, it's the D700. Or vice-versa. You can call it either way.

I'm not familiar with Australian coinage, but I think a good solution might be to take a fairly heavy coin, one about 25mm in diameter and 3mm thick, place it on your curled up right index finger with your thumb cocked under that same index finger, and vigorously flick the thumb upwardly, sending the coin rotating upward, and through the air, and then allow gravity to do its job.

If that Australian coin lands heads up, it's the D300. If it lands tails up, it's the D700. Or vice-versa. You can call it either way.

And which ever one you are hoping it lands on, while it is in the air, that is the one you buy.

D700 and fast primes.

I would say it's a no brainer if you get good lenses,sell the crappy 18-200 and get the D700, 70-200F2.8 and 24-70F2.8

just because it's a FX sensor, doesn't mean all FF lens are going to cost an arm and 4 legs. You can get GREAT fast prime lens for around $100-300. Or a used 28-70 f2.8 just under 1K. A 28-200 G were like $400 new! I got my 24-85mm f2.8-4 for about $500. A great condition 80-200mm AFD is about $750. The best lens of all IMHO is the 50mm f/2 Ai. You can find it for like 75 bucks!!! And it's sharp has hell! I'd say go FF, you may not technically need it's now, but when you get better, you will never go back.

People forget that only about 10years ago that most people were still shooting with films. So that means, all of those lenses back then were FF and not all were pro grade super expensive stuff. They make them for the average joe too.

I have both. For your intended use it's a no-brainer..... the D700. Just make sure you get proper glass.

The thing is that while I love photography I am not very technical provident yet, as in I of course use manual settings and understand the basic of what the different lenses offer I do not understand everything. Especially not when it comes to FX, DX and the different lenses and options and so on.
This is something I want to learn more about though…
See if this thread helps.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...rence-between-full-frame-cropped-sensors.html

just because it's a FX sensor, doesn't mean all FF lens are going to cost an arm and 4 legs.

No but because it's an FX camera his current favourite workhorse the 18-200 would be a severe hinderence to the D700, and would as such require the purchase of a new camera AND a new lens. It depends on how much the budget can be stretched. If you can afford more than just D700 then by all means, a D700 and some old gold glass would be great, but if the D700 is the upper limit of the spending then there's some options that may be more useful to the photographer, such as:

For the $3600AU or so the D700 body would be you could buy:
1x New 80-200mm f/2.8
1x New Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
1x New 85mm f/1.4
1x 50mm f/1.8
AND 1x SB-900 flash too if you buy from the right places and keep the D70.

Or:
1x D300
1x 85mm f/1.4

Or:
1x D300
1x 50mm f/1.8
1x SB-900 flash.

/EDIT: Sorry the numbers would be off a bit, since the camera bodies would be photocontinental prices (expensive) and the lenses I looked up on B&H. Should have looked up the cameras on B&H too.

If he already own a D300, then I would suggest on upgrading lenses before body, BUT since it's a d70, I'd say, save for a couple of months if you have to, but definitely get the D700.

just because it's a FX sensor, doesn't mean all FF lens are going to cost an arm and 4 legs.

No but because it's an FX camera his current favourite workhorse the 18-200 would be a severe hinderence to the D700, and would as such require the purchase of a new camera AND a new lens. It depends on how much the budget can be stretched. If you can afford more than just D700 then by all means, a D700 and some old gold glass would be great, but if the D700 is the upper limit of the spending then there's some options that may be more useful to the photographer, such as:

For the $3600AU or so the D700 body would be you could buy:
1x New 80-200mm f/2.8
1x New Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
1x New 85mm f/1.4
1x 50mm f/1.8
AND 1x SB-900 flash too if you buy from the right places and keep the D70.

Or:
1x D300
1x 85mm f/1.4

Or:
1x D300
1x 50mm f/1.8
1x SB-900 flash.

/EDIT: Sorry the numbers would be off a bit, since the camera bodies would be photocontinental prices (expensive) and the lenses I looked up on B&H. Should have looked up the cameras on B&H too.

^^
Excellent advice. Although I'm not sure everybody needs to spring for the sb-900.

idk if this is true but i heard quality between d5000, d90 and d300 are pretty much the same o.o

i hope i dont get flamed for this

OMG D700 IS THE BEST YOU SIMPLY MUST GET A D700.

Most reactions

Back