What's new

[Help] One of two mirrors(?) inside the camera is scratched?

blackwalla

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My sister borrowed my old Canon Digital Rebel XTi camera. She saw some dust while she was taking some photos, so she figure she'd clean it. She didn't cut her nails yet and tried to get to some tough areas inside the camera, and scratched one of the two mirrors(?) inside.

It's the one where it has the focus points printed on it; the one on top. I saw it somewhat has two layers (I think), so I was wondering if I could just replace the layer that was scratched and install a new one? Is that possible, or do I have to buy a new camera?

dgncsx.jpg


If so, where can I get it replaced/fixed? Can I ask Canon to fix this even though my warranty has expired? (I'll pay them, of course.)

Please help me! Thanks!
 
That is your focus screen. It's not hard to change at all... if you can get a new one. I think I saw somewhere that the price for a new one is approximately 11 dollars. Canon can fix it... but you are looking at a lot more money for something you can do yourself with some steady hands and some patience.
 
I agree. That's the focusing screen that's where the autofocus sensor is I guess. I didn't know it was that cheap and I also wouldn't think it would be an easy fix.
I would not try to replace it unless I have some picture tutorial about it...
 
If your worried chances are most good photography shops will be able to swap the screen out whilst you wait. Contact a few and see - chances are its a far more affordable method than sending it back to canon. You can also have them clean the camera sensor whilst they're at it (chances are they will do this anyway as such cleaning and processes are bound to brush dust onto the camera sensor)
 
I am not recommending it at all. I would get it changed somewhere else. It isn't too expensive, but if you ruin your camera changing it... you are out of luck.
 
My sister borrowed my old Canon Digital Rebel XTi camera. She saw some dust while she was taking some photos, so she figure she'd clean it. She didn't cut her nails yet and tried to get to some tough areas inside the camera, and scratched one of the two mirrors(?) inside.

It's the one where it has the focus points printed on it; the one on top. I saw it somewhat has two layers (I think), so I was wondering if I could just replace the layer that was scratched and install a new one? Is that possible, or do I have to buy a new camera?

dgncsx.jpg


If so, where can I get it replaced/fixed? Can I ask Canon to fix this even though my warranty has expired? (I'll pay them, of course.)

Please help me! Thanks!
You can leave it like it is. It won't show on any of your photos because the mirror covers it when you release the shutter.

It won't effect the AF because that module is in the bottom of the camera and light through the lens is reflected off a smaller mirror on the back of the big mirror.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom