HELP! Photography Independent Study

olivia.f

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, so I am new to this forum.
I am in a situation and would appreciate all the advice I can get. I am a high school student as San Francisco School of the Arts. I am in the Visual Arts department heading into my senior year. Previously, they have had the option of holding a senior photography class, however, due to the budget and small amount of students, this was cut.
I have asked my counselor if there was any way I could do an independent study in photography when I would normally have my school art class (1-4). She said that I would have to create my own curriculum and figure out how to spend over 15 hours a week doing this.
I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for a curriculum (not the entire thing.) I would like to study with someone (a professional, or semi-professional photographer) so that I could really learn solid techniques like how to develop in a dark room, etc.
I have never done anything like this so any advice would be great, be it on who to contact, project ideas, goals to set...
I have a canon AE1 and am looking into buying a digital SLR camera over the summer.
Thank you!

~Olivia F
[email protected]

Surely this independant study would have to be assessed at the end of the year - how would this be done in you case - will it be an official board examination as well as assessment of created works in project work? IF that is the case then your structure would have to be very similar to last years course structure and content.
IF they are going to do an independant study setup again you have to work out how and what will be assessed -once you know that you can plan how you will learn and prepare. I would suggest first finding out the assessment setup and then talking to the teacher from last year.

Most reactions

Back