help please.. budget indicated..

tinay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi, i recently post that i'm bothered of what kind of camera to buy.. and many would ask for the budget.. my budget is around $1000.. right now i'm confused with canon eos 500d and nikon d5000.. i think they're both pretty good.. but i'm still a beginner.. if you would give me suggestions on the kind of camera besides the two i mention i would really really appreciate it guys.. thanks!

Either one would suit the needs of a beginner. Don't get all frazzled over the entry level cameras. If you don't have a need for video, then even look at the Canon 450D (XSI). Its the prior model to the 500D and a very good camera, just no video.

What is more important is the lenses. Better lenses give you better image quality, faster focusing, better low light shooting. It is normally said to get the best you can afford as a lens will last a long time, a camera body will be upgraded every 2-3 years.

The kit lens (lens that comes with the camera) is good for a beginner to learn about the camera functionalities. A lens that is often first bought as a first lens is the 50mm f/1.8 - aka the nifty fifty. No zoom, but great image quality and low light shooting for usually around $100 (which is REALLY cheap for a lens).

My advice:

If you don't care for video, look at the 450D. You will save some coin.

If you must have the newest, then go to a store and hold the two and see which is more comfortable in your hands and which has a better button layout for YOU

Buy that one

Buy a book called Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Knowledge and practice are THE MOST important things in photography, so best to start on the right foot with a good book

hi, i recently post that i'm bothered of what kind of camera to buy.. and many would ask for the budget.. my budget is around $1000.. right now i'm confused with canon eos 500d and nikon d5000.. i think they're both pretty good.. but i'm still a beginner.. if you would give me suggestions on the kind of camera besides the two i mention i would really really appreciate it guys.. thanks!
Yes, they are both pretty good cameras.
If you find yourself leaning towards the Nikon D5000, I'd have to say it's worth the extra $$$ to get the D90.
More AF points, auto bracketing, expanded burst mode, in body focus motor so you can use more of Nikon's lenses.​

I personally say if your wanting video
Definately go with the Canon 500D (Better quality than the Nikon, 1080ppi to 720ppi)
Or if the video doesn't bother you (remember it will hog your memory using video)
then i suggest the 450D

Last edited:
I personally say if your wanting video
Definately go with the Canon 500D (Better quality than the Nikon, 1080ppi to 720ppi)
Or if the video doesn't bother you (remember it will hog your memory using video)
then i suggest the 450D
Say Huh?

You mean the Nikon is 1280x720 (16:9) aspect ratio? The Nikon displays at 24 fps.

The Canon is only 20 fps at 1920x1080 (16:9) the same aspect ratio.

In the case of video the term ppi is meaningless.

For video, the frame rate (fps) is a significant number to compare. We won't mention the lower high IOS capability of the T1i.

Last edited:
If you are new to photography, consider picking up a cheaper (or used) body, then spend the extra cash on an extra lense. You can always upgrade your body later when your familiar with photography and what you want.

Personally I shoot with a Pentax KM and adore it, it's easy to use and is one of the smallest DSLRs on the market. I picked up the body with lense for about $550 Canadian.

If you have a thousand to spend, definetly go with the D5000 two-lens kit. 18-55 & 55-200 both VR for 1000 flat. Best deal ever...

I got my D40 right before the D5000 came out. I was so mad...

Revised:

What you need (atleast):

SD Card / other storage
Body
Lens

Recommended:
off camera flash
Tripod / monopod or both
bag

Recommendations:

list below.

Last edited:
Here is a list of basic requirements you should have!!

From amazon:

Canon XSI w/ 18-55mm - $632
Lens - 50mm f1.8 MKII - $100
Sd card - Amazon.com: Kingston 2 GB SD Flash Memory Card SD/2GB: Electronics
Buy it soon!!! it is usually $22 atm is only $3! buy about 8 of them (=16gig) - $24
Tripod - Manfrotto 190XPROB (legs only)- $160
Ball head - Manfrotto 486RC2 Ball head - $75
Flash - Canon Speedlite 430EX II - $260
Bag - Lowepro slingshot AW 300 - $110
Remote shutter - Canon wireless remote RC1 - £22

You can look for these on ebay to see if you can get it cheaper second hand, but the SD cards i would buy ASAP!!
This kit is ofcourse at the sacrifice of the Video, so unless your desperately wanting video
then this kit is great!
Sure it is an extra $383 than the $1000 you wanted to spend, but it is a great kit
to get it down to the $1000 i would search ebay for it cheaper second hand
or remove the Tripod and head and the flash
But you really should try get the extra $383 in my opinion, it is more than worth it!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
thanks for all of your help guys.. =p now i understand which is which..=p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back