Help please

redessa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm starting to branch out from my own immediate family and have started asking for friends to let me shoot their family pics. No, I'm not charging and I make it clear that I'm still learning. So, with that in mind, I have the opportunity to shoot a friend's daughters and I could use some help with a couple of things.

1st is a very basic "which lens" question. I have a Canon T2i, the 18-55mm kit lens, the 55-250 kit lens and a 50mm 1.8. On my cropped sensor 50 mm is equivalent to 80mm which is an acceptable portrait length. Since it's my best lens do I stick the 50mm on my camera and just plan to move around a lot or do I use the 55-250 which will give me more flexibility but is a lesser quality lens?

2nd, the two girls. One is a teenager. She's a little shy but I really don't anticipate any problems with her. Her sister however, is a special needs 3 yr old (Down Syndrome). The mom does want a shot of her alone but expects most of the pics will be of the two sisters together. Any help I can get with how to approach photographing the little girl would be greatly appreciated! I was thinking of bringing some helium filled balloons for her to hold and I've told the mom to bring a stuffed animal or blanket that girl loves. I've also heard to slide a pez dispenser in your hotshoe to get kids' attention. Am I on the right track? Any other thoughts?

1st - I would use the 50mm since it is better quality, fast, and great for portraits. You can shoot the same types of shots with the 50mm as with the zoom but you will have to move your feet.

2nd - engage the little girl. Bring a pretty flower for her to hold, balloons will work. Her mom should be able to get the kids attention and get her looking in the right direction.

Where is this photoshoot taking place? If its outdoors you might want the zoom if you have to run after the 3yo.

It will be an outdoor shoot. I'm planning to use mostly natural light. I will also be bringing a reflector. My only other lighting is an on camera speedlite although I can use the reflector for bouncing the flash (I at least know better than to shoot it straight at the subject).

Most reactions

Back