HELP PLEASE

tmurphy0828

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am not entirely sure if this is the right section for this post but it seems like the right place to get some answers/advice that I need.

Ok, so I have been shooting photos and taking photography seriously for about a year now. I have done a few photo shoots mostly ones for friends or family without pay because I have been the one to ask them if they would like photos so I could start building a portfolio for myself. So basically its been a very relaxed setting, no pressure or anything like that.

A few days ago a former classmate of mine who has seen some of my photos contacted me to see if I would be interested in sending her a couple samples to show her boss for an up and coming website they will be launching. The site is for the city of Estero, Florida. Its basically a site to highlight all the stuff the city has to offer as well as the surrounding areas. So she showed her boss my photos and apparently she loved them so she got in contact with me and is looking to work with me to go around and take photos of the city for her site and stuff. I am meeting her on the 18th to talk about everything in more detail.

My problem is I have no idea where to begin. This is sort of going to be my first real photo job and Im not quite sure how to be prepared for it. I have only done work for friends and family that wasnt that serious so I dont know exactly what kind of pricing I should talk about when I meet up on the 18th. Also I have minimal photo gear. Basically a camera, two lenses, a tripod, and an extra battery. Am I in over my head on this one?

Get informed - they will most likely profit from using your photos for purposes of promoting their city and its tourism. You could try looking on websites of pro photography organizations like ASMP and PPA; especially being inexperienced you'd want to know what's realistic to expect to be paid for the work and what would be appropriate in a contract, etc.

Maybe look at websites for other cities in the area and see if you think your photos look comparable in quality. You might want to determine if you feel your photos will meet their expectations and work for their purpose so you either feel confident in taking this on or decide if you're ready for this or not.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
"No, I'm sorry, I don't think I'm quite prepared for such an assignment, and I wouldn't want to disappoint your boss and affect your working relationship."

"No, I'm sorry, I don't think I'm quite prepared for such an assignment, and I wouldn't want to disappoint your boss and affect your working relationship."
This! ^^^ It's one thing to do a less than stellar job of a family photo shoot or a senior's grad pictures; you can always say the card went duff and offer a do-over; commercial work is done to a deadline with specific requirements in terms of deliverables, and I'm sure that the city will have a well-written (for their benefit) contract drafted; I don't see this going anywhere good. Now, if you could find a pro, turn this over to him/her and second-shoot, you'd get a wealth of experience!

Thanks everyone for the advice and info it will really help me out on figuring this whole situation out. And the thing is, its not the city of Estero asking me for photos for their website. this is just a group of people trying to start a site promoting Estero. This lady named Adele is heading the project and every one else is either a student or a grad student. I talked to her on the phone for about an hour about the job and from what it sounds like Im about 90% percent sure I can pull of what they are looking for. I let her know that i dont have that much experience but she said they are looking for Student photographers (I attend the FGCU, which is right next to the city)

Thanks everyone for the advice and info it will really help me out on figuring this whole situation out. And the thing is, its not the city of Estero asking me for photos for their website. this is just a group of people trying to start a site promoting Estero...
Ah, well, that does put rather a different spin on it. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the advice and info it will really help me out on figuring this whole situation out. And the thing is, its not the city of Estero asking me for photos for their website. this is just a group of people trying to start a site promoting Estero...
Ah, well, that does put rather a different spin on it. Good luck!

Yeah haha If the actual city of Estero was asking me to do this I would have had to politely decline. She asked me to show her quite a few examples of what I've done and she was quite happy with it all which is why I think I can do this. On the 18th when we meet to discuss the job more she said she will give me more of the details of what shes looking for so by then if I don't
think I can handle it I suppose I can try and reference her to someone else in the area that can get her what shes looking for

Yeah maybe wait til you get the details first before deciding?

If its landscapes of the city and some night shots i think that could be fun for you.

Yeah maybe wait til you get the details first before deciding?

If its landscapes of the city and some night shots i think that could be fun for you.

From what Ive heard already that is what it sounds like. I actually had some landscapes and a few creative shots already since I'm out and about Estero all the time during fall and spring semesters and those are the photos I showed her and she liked them. She said shes looking to get shots of a few of the historical sights around estero, some of the outdoor shopping malls, the beaches, and then some nature stuff.

Most reactions

Back